PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Short question about LightDM greeter & theme

kennethwrede
March 16th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Hi, I have for some time played with a customized installation from Precise server iso. When I was trying to understand how lightdm should be activated (I hade overseen some X11 packages) I also started to wonder about how to manipulate it. That confronted me with another question.

If I look in synaptic, there is both lightdm-themes and lightdm-greeters, but as far as I can se not from the same desktop. Are they different names for the same thing, or is there any difference? Google could not answer, or maybe, I could not ask it god enaugh. :)

Kenneth

Krytarik
March 22nd, 2013, 09:20 PM
The LightDM greeter and its theme are basically analogous to a desktop environment/session and its theme.

Simple enough? :P

Regards.

diesch
March 22nd, 2013, 09:44 PM
The LightDM greeters are responsible for drawing the login screen and asking for a user name and password while LightDM itself is doing the authentication, starting the session, ...

mythbuntu-lightdm-theme and ubuntustudio-lightdm-theme are themes for lightdm-gtk-greeter

If you want to create your own login screen have a look at lightdm-webkit-greeter. It's a greeter that uses WebKit to render a HTML file with some JavaScript as login screen.

kennethwrede
March 23rd, 2013, 11:33 PM
"The LightDM greeters are responsible for drawing the login screen and asking for a user name and password"

So the greeter is DRAWING and ASKING, but WHAT it is drawing is decided by the theme?
(Eg. The greeter is drawing the windows/popups/menus/background... But what they contain is mentioned in the theme that usually have the same look&feel as the DE?)

Kennth