PDA

View Full Version : Am i the only one..

Somenoob
July 10th, 2006, 08:36 AM
That got my Wireless network card to work with out any problems at all?

because much of the threads here are just endless Wi-Fi problem threads.

did anyone else get it to work successfully?

Derek Djons
July 10th, 2006, 08:39 AM
A lot of people got there Networking done proper. Only the thing is: "You won't hear the success stories as much as you will hear the failure stories."

As a lot of others my networking is running fine, out of the box that is.

vayu
July 10th, 2006, 08:51 AM
My static ethernet works,
my DHCP unsecured wireless works,
my WPA secured wireless no longer works (it did in breezy).

WildTangent
July 10th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Mine works fine. Its based on a Ralink chipset.

-Wild

bigken
July 10th, 2006, 08:55 AM
I have had no problems with my intel pro/wireless 2915ABG mini pci cards

prizrak
July 10th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Not a single issue here, Atheros based a/b/g miniPCI. Unsecured, WPA, static, and DHCP all work like a charm. *Hugs Network-Manager*

Shay Stephens
July 10th, 2006, 07:00 PM
On my old laptop, wireless worked. On my desktop, wireless works. On my new laptop (old one died) wireless does not work (broadcom card). There is also some kind of video card problem. So the laptop is running XP for now. I will probably have to wait for edgy before the laptop will run with Ubuntu.

So it probably just depends on the hardware. Some have trouble, some don't.

.t.
July 10th, 2006, 07:03 PM
I've never had a problem with Ubuntu. But I've been using Linux for years, definately all the time I've had a wireless card, and I've learnt how to config it.

az
July 10th, 2006, 07:14 PM
I beleive there are more cards with native linux support in Ubuntu than cards that don't have native support.

mostwanted
July 10th, 2006, 07:23 PM
The two laptops with wifi cards I've installed Ubuntu on so far have given me no trouble either, but both were Intel chips and my home network is a standard WEP which is the simplest to set up. The wifi at my school which is certificate-protected looks like a tough job, I'm hoping NetworkManager will soon support the authentication type (doesn't at the moment) and also that NM will support Keyring, don't want to type in my password and manually log into Gaim every time I turn on my laptop.

KC@home
July 10th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I had problems with 5.10 and also with 6.06. I tried some howtos I found on google, but i didnīt succede because i got stuck somewhere in the compile process. In complete despair I even installed Opensuse 10.1. On Opensuse wireless networking worked out of the box with WPA, but regarding software installations Opensuse (or at least their packet manager) is crap. After adding several alternative repositories I still couldnīt install VLC, because of unsresolvable dependencies.

Finally I switched back to Ubuntu (Kubuntu) where the installation of VLC means uncommenting the Universe source and apt-getting it - thatīs what I love most about Ubuntu/Debian.

But now back to WPA problem. My solution was finally to install a nice proggie called knetworkmanager, which was included in Opensuse by default. After starting it I was presented with the existing WLANS, had to key in my WPA passphrase and was connected. BINGO!

It would be a good thing to include that application in a standard desktop installation.

matthew
July 10th, 2006, 08:28 PM
My Intel ipw2200b/g worked out of the box when I did my 6.06 install. To get wpa working all I did was install network-manager. For me everything was quick and easy.

Engnome
July 10th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Ubuntu is the only distro that has recognised my wireless out of the box. :D However I had issues with a little older Dell inspiron (broadcom card, had to use ndiswrapper) but that card doesn't work very well in Xp either so I don't think it's ubuntus fault.

B0rsuk
July 10th, 2006, 09:53 PM
I assure you you're not the only one who posts topics with meaningless subjects, forcing others to enter it just to learn what is it about, and artificially increasing server traffic.
This makes a bad impression, and later people are less likely to read your topics (if they remember you)

matthew
July 10th, 2006, 10:00 PM
I assure you you're not the only one who posts topics with meaningless subjects, forcing others to enter it just to learn what is it about, and artificially increasing server traffic.
This makes a bad impression, and later people are less likely to read your topics (if they remember you)Wow, are we a little grumpy tonight? If you can't post something nice (and on-topic...), don't post anything at all.

Back to the topic at hand, please.

Polygon
July 10th, 2006, 10:03 PM
i had to get a new wireless card (ubuntu did not autoconfigure my DWL-G520M)

but after looking at this cool site: http://linux-wless.passys.nl/

i found a wireless card that was "green" or known to work with linux, and when i reinstalled breezy, it autoconfigured it.

nuvo
July 10th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Note a single problem with my Belkin PCI WiFi card.
Opended case, plugged it in, closed case, booted, entered security details and started browsing with an 802.11g grade signal.

jimrz
July 11th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Not a single issue here, Atheros based a/b/g miniPCI. Unsecured, WPA, static, and DHCP all work like a charm. *Hugs Network-Manager*

what he said