PDA

View Full Version : Stories: How linux has Saved you!

nankura
March 14th, 2013, 04:27 AM
Hey guys =D

Just wanted to see some people's story's on how linux has saved you, maybe you lost a partition and fixed it with linux, or had a virus on windows and removed it with linux

The amount of times linux has saved me is to many storys to tell, earlier today i accidently messed up my work USB drive and for some reason i couldnt access it on windows ( yes i have to use windows sometimes, BAD WORD! )

And booting onto my linux drive and using gparted saved me, allowing me to fix the duplicate partitions i managed to make somehow xD:lolflag:

mamamia88
March 14th, 2013, 04:30 AM
Linux has saved me from Linux but not really windows. For example I used a Ubuntu live cd to fix the fstab of my system that I managed to mess up because i was trying to get everything perfectly aligned.

linuxyogi
March 14th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Its free/secure & easy too (atleast thesedays). It has saved me a lot of money. I didn't have to buy an OS or software.

BTW, when people come to me with a broken windows installation I use Ubuntu live cd to backup their home folder & reinstall windows from their DVD.

Moose
March 15th, 2013, 12:29 AM
I wouldn't say Linux saved me, but my computer is pretty lucky I installed it. Windows was getting to a point where I wanted to throw my pc out on the street. Linux has been working perfectly since I installed it. (With only a minor hiccup here and there.)

ManamiVixen
March 15th, 2013, 12:37 AM
While this story wasn't about me, it saved someone else.

I had a friend who forgot their password for Windows 7 and couldn't log in. They gave me the PC to fix and I used a Linux Rescue CD to repair it. After wrestling with commands to access SAM and it's locations, I maged to edit the registry to remove the password. My friend was happy to get back to their PC.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
March 15th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Its free/secure & easy too (atleast thesedays). It has saved me a lot of money. I didn't have to buy an OS or software.

BTW, when people come to me with a broken windows installation I use Ubuntu live cd to backup their home folder & reinstall windows from their DVD.
you forgot the next to last step, profit
the last step is repeat

think of all the headace and time linux has saved you deal with virus scan, defraging, and long updates

i managed to fix a issue on a windows system caused by un-removable software that kept undoing wifi settings
ubuntu had no problem deleting it
in my exp it is not worth the time to fix windows, much better off replacing it

cactus john
March 22nd, 2013, 12:21 AM
Winter 1933..hiking in the Andes with a friend named Hillary.
While hiking during the night I slipped and fell 95 feet into a cravass. Nobody would take the risk to help. Too deep, too dark.
I quickly remembered that I had packed an old e-mail from a friend inside my duffle and inside that email was a Ubuntu disc that I had saved.
I had 96 feet of parachute cord with me. I took the parachute cord and tied a monkey fist knot through the hole so that it wouldn't slip out. Being that the disc has very little weight, I had to wait for over 6 hours before a good strong wind blew into the cravass and once it did, I launched the disc up and out away from me. The wind caught the Ubuntu disc and carried it up and out of the cravass.
I felt it lodge into a rock outcrop and I tugged on the line to make sure it was secure.
Secure it was and I then managed to hand over hand up the line and was out.
After, I quickly installed it in my old notebook that I also had in my duffle and sent a email for help.

Ubuntu had saved my life.
:popcorn::D

Moose
March 22nd, 2013, 12:30 AM
Winter 1933..hiking in the Andes with a friend named Hillary.
While hiking during the night I slipped and fell 95 feet into a cravass. Nobody would take the risk to help. Too deep, too dark.
I quickly remembered that I had packed an old e-mail from a friend inside my duffle and inside that email was a Ubuntu disc that I had saved.
I had 96 feet of parachute cord with me. I took the parachute cord and tied a monkey fist knot through the hole so that it wouldn't slip out. Being that the disc has very little weight, I had to wait for over 6 hours before a good strong wind blew into the cravass and once it did, I launched the disc up and out away from me. The wind caught the Ubuntu disc and carried it up and out of the cravass.
I felt it lodge into a rock outcrop and I tugged on the line to make sure it was secure.
Secure it was and I then managed to hand over hand up the line and was out.
After, I quickly installed it in my old notebook that I also had in my duffle and sent a email for help.

Ubuntu had saved my life.

That was beautiful. ._.

neu5eeCh
March 22nd, 2013, 12:34 AM
Winter 1933..hiking in the Andes with a friend named Hillary...

What? Wait. I know that girl. This was back in the seventies when I had my Ubuntu 8-Track tape with me (before they had CDs). I was hiking the Appalachian trial in the White Mountains when an unexpected squall...

VirginiaDrifter
March 22nd, 2013, 12:58 AM
think of all the headace and time linux has saved you deal with virus scan, defraging, and long updates

This ^^^^

When I was using Windows, I encountered a problem which was driving me crazy. I Googled day and night trying to fix the problem. 90% of all search results wanted me to buy their software to to repair it. Finally in one search, someone answered somebody who had the same problem with "Why are you still using Windows? Switch to Linux Mint to solve your problems." I had never heard of this 'Linux' stuff before (old man just starting to play with computers). Anyway, checked it out, liked what I saw (see bold in quote above) and decided to give it try. Haven't looked back since.

That's my story....and I'm sticking to it \\:D/

zer010
March 22nd, 2013, 01:50 AM
Windows took a vacation on boot. Didn't do the backups that I should have. Booted up LiveCD, grabbed all of my files, reinstalled Windows... then immediately installed Ubuntu 9.04 next to it. Been hooked ever since then.

"You're my hero, Tux!" :)

leclerc65
March 22nd, 2013, 03:26 AM
My home theatre PC (tripled boot with XP, Mint 13 XFCE, Lubuntu 12.04) just went poof.
Rebooted it will stay for a few seconds then died again. My brother in law tell me to change the bios battery. Parted Magic still wouldn't boot. Luckily Acronis did; I restored XP, then use Parted Magic to restore Mint. Lubuntu was given up for dead because I didn't have an image.

jockyburns
March 22nd, 2013, 10:26 AM
A few years ago, my PC decided to stop working (due to a power surge when the neighbours kettle blew up) New mobo, processor and PSU fixed it. Then a few months later the HDD passed away quietly in it's sleep. Bought a new HDD, but XP was factory installed on my old HDD, so didn't have an XP install disk. Nephew said he could get me a copy of Win7, but a fortnight later (after many arguments with the missus about using her computer) Win7 had still to materialise. I was looking on the internet and suddenly remembered Linux OS's Half hour later I'd downloaded Ubuntu to a USB, changed the boot order, plugged it in and "Hey Presto" suddenly I'm back on the internet. Had a play about for an hour and installed it. Only thing I don't like is the inability to play (what was) my favourite game Eve Online. (wine slows it down to a crawl and I got blasted before I could click my mouse) But a small price to pay for an excellent OS.

Irihapeti
March 22nd, 2013, 11:51 AM
It didn't save me, but it saved my son and daughter-in-law. At the time, she had an older PC with XP on it, which was deteriorating fast (XP, that is - not the PC). No install disk, of course. My son installed Ubuntu 8.04 on it, which they ran for a couple of years. Eventually, the motherboard died, and he brought the hard drive to me so I could put it into my own Ubuntu box and get the files off it and onto their new PC.

helblaze
March 22nd, 2013, 11:14 PM
I used Ubuntu to get rid of files that my old printer's installation program kept creating in the wrong location. Weirdly it only ever put files in the wrong place on W7 x64, was fine under Vista x64 and W7 x86.

GameX2
March 22nd, 2013, 11:59 PM
The portable computer of my friend was freaking out (Windows 7). Everytime we started Windows, it would do a CheckDisk, then when on the Desktop, we had at least 1 minute before the system would get a BSOD.
We managed to restart Windows 7, let it do the CheckDisk, but this time, not gettting to the Desktop (Otherwise, it keep getting corrupted, somehow). We instead booted with a Ubuntu LiveCD, which allowed us to save the files (Before a complete reinstall).

nankura
March 25th, 2013, 05:46 AM
some excellent storys! haha, nice to see good responses :)