PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this eink display laptop?

QwUo173Hy
March 13th, 2013, 09:38 PM
I've been in touch with this company and they offered to install Ubuntu on this machine as a dual-boot option. Here is the device: http://www.cloversystems.com/SunBook.htm

I'm a bit out of touch with hardware, how do these specs look? I'm not interested in

Also, how many of you would consider switching to an eink-display laptop?

kurt18947
March 13th, 2013, 11:25 PM
I wonder if a lighter less graphically demanding distro like Xubuntu or Lubuntu might be more suitable. The display looks like it's 1024 X 600, similar to netbooks. I haven't had that display resolution to try with Unity or Gnome-shell but I'd be a little sceptical. Hopefully someone with a 1024 X 600 display will chip in. I'd think the RAM and processor would be adequate for most desktop distros. It looks like a useful machine for brightly lit areas or daytime outdoor use.

cariboo
March 14th, 2013, 03:18 AM
All they show in the video is a static page, I'd be really curious to see how the display works with streaming video. Personally if I spent most of my working day outside and needed a computer to view static pages only, I may consider something like this.

QwUo173Hy
March 15th, 2013, 04:26 PM
kurt, cariboo, thanks for the feedback. I contacted them about refresh rates etc and they offered to install Ubuntu for me :) One thing to note is that it is not in fact e-Ink but transflective TFT LCD. I'd be happy working on one of these all day. I'll bet terminal apps will be a lot of fun too :)

kurt18947
March 15th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Having Ubuntu installed is a real plus. That eliminates the liklihood of having a wifi adapter or other hardware that doesn't want to play nice. We see enough of that here. I'm looking forward to your review:KS

evilsoup
March 15th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Having used Unity on a netbook for over a year, I can say that it works perfectly well at that resolution.

There are occasionally annoyances with some programs that can't be resized to a manageable size (HandBrake is one offender...), but that's an issue that transcends DE.

|{urse
March 15th, 2013, 10:41 PM
I've competed bid-wise on some jobs against clover systems, they are top-notch, don't let the poorly coded website fool you.