PDA

View Full Version : Resizing Partition for Ubuntu

mayank2013
March 13th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Hi I am fairly new user to Ubuntu and recently installed 12.10
But during installation, i was checking the partition space and it by default kept 930 GB to Ubuntu partition

Can you guys suggest how do i go about fixing it and what should be the ideal partition...

So now the current status is :

Partition File System mount point Size Used Flags
/dev/sda1 ext4 / 923.5 GB 20 GB Boot
sda2 extended 8 GB
sda 5 Linux Swap 8 GB

Please help out, after this i need to create a new virtual box for Windows 7 , bcoz lot of my ollege work is in wondows

Bucky Ball
March 13th, 2013, 03:26 AM
Boot from the install CD, 'Try Ubuntu' so you get to a desktop, launch Gparted, shrink sda1 to about 20Gb, create whatever other partitions you want/need.

As for your virtualisation, please post a thread in the Virtualisation sub-forum once you have resized your partition. Good luck.

PS: When installing you can choose 'Something Else' at the partitioning section and manually create partitions rather than let the install do it for you. You might want to reinstall and try that instead if you are not too far down the track with this install re customisation.

mayank2013
March 13th, 2013, 03:35 AM
Hi thanks,
Yes, i did install it just 2 days back, so not much important stuff there.
So, when you suggest reinstall, i did mine initially using a USB, so you suggest should i try it once more in same fashion ?

Bucky Ball
March 13th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Yep. When you get to the partitioning section choose 'Something Else' and partition manually. Make a plan. Many people go for a separate /home partition as well. All normal mount points are selectable by default but you can create mount points named whatever you want.

/swap really only needs to be about 2Gb at the end of the drive unless you intend hibernating regularly. Then the size of your ram is normal for /swap.

/ = 20Gb
/home = large as you like
/swap = 2Gb (see above for hibernating)

One thing to remember is that Windows doesn't use EXT partitions and won't recognise them. That needs NTFS or FAT so you might want to create /share as an NTFS partition (Ubuntu handles NTFS and FAT no problem).

Good luck.