PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Trying to get conky to work

sarar
March 13th, 2013, 12:08 AM
I installed conky, following the instructions from this link: http://geekyschmidt.com/2009/03/29/conky-setup
When i try to run the scripts or conky it doesn't work. Any suggestions? I'm a linux beginner and don't have a lot experience with any of these kinds of things.

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 13th, 2013, 12:57 AM
The Ubuntu Wiki for Conky may be of help to you.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpConky

stinkeye
March 13th, 2013, 02:15 AM
I don't know where your having problems but I couldn't even extract the downloads properly for a start.
He has left the period(.) out before tar.gz in the file names of each download.
eg
conky_scriptstar.gz should be
conky_scripts.tar.gz

Rename each download accordingly and then right click on each and choose extract here.
You then need to press ctrl+h to show hidden files to reveal the extracted .conkyrc file.
You should see as in attachment.

Now try again following his directions for placement of the extracted files.
Place the contents of the folders not the actual folders themselves into the directories named.

The .conkyrc file is just placed in your home folder.
This is the config conky looks for and loads when you run conky.
If conky can't find ~/.conkyrc it will load the default config which looks like second attachment.

sarar
March 13th, 2013, 03:39 AM
The problem seems to be LXDE. I've heard that other people have had trouble getting conky to work with LXDE and the pcman file manager. I can't get any conkyrc file to work for me. I keep getting this error message:
[1] 2161sarabuck@sarabuck-Gateway-M460:~$ WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /run/user/sarabuck/keyring-QQROmP/pkcs11: No such file or directory
Conky: invalid configuration file '/home/sarabuck/.conkyrc'

Conky: missing text block in configuration; exiting
***** Imlib2 Developer Warning ***** :
This program is calling the Imlib call:

imlib_context_free();

With the parameter:

context

being NULL. Please fix your program.

stinkeye
March 13th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Have you placed .conkyrc in your home folder.

If so it should open in gedit with...

gedit ~/.conkyrc

Can also test using the default config with...

conky -c /etc/conky/conky.conf

This is also an old config and I don't think the weather part works anymore.

I suggest you go here.
Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=281865&page=2168&p=12554035#post12554035)

Plenty of screenshots and configs to look at and people willing to help set up.

sarar
March 13th, 2013, 04:23 AM
It opens with the default config, I just can't get it to work with any other config file. Apparently the problem is PCManagerFM, I'm just not quite sure how to fix it.

stinkeye
March 13th, 2013, 04:32 AM
In the terminal run ...

ls -a | grep ".conkyrc"

eg should show similar.

glen@Raring:~$ ls -a | grep ".conkyrc"
.conkyrc

You can also specify the config to use with the -c option.
ie

conky -c ~/.conkyrc

Edit

The conky takes a while to show because this line in the conkyrc either needs to be commented out (place a # at the start of the line)
or changed to show your gmail username and password.
The gmail_parser.py script may be the cause of the gnome keyring error.

${color F8DF58}${font FreeSans:size=12}@${font}${execpi 300 python ~/.bin/gmail_parser.py username password 3}
The conkyrc still shows the authors username and password which he hopefully has changed.

sarar
March 13th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Same error message when I try that. It seems to be looking for Gnome Keyring, which I don't have because I don't use Gnome.

sarar
March 13th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Nevermind, problem solved. I just had my files set up wrong, apparently... Excuse me while I bang my head against the wall.

stinkeye
March 13th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Nevermind, problem solved. I just had my files set up wrong, apparently... Excuse me while I bang my head against the wall.
I'll join in.
](*,)