PDA

View Full Version : Secure browsers other than firefox.

newhere_m
March 12th, 2013, 06:08 PM
I use firefox 19.0 ubuntu 12.04. I have add ons like noscript, adblockplus, betterprivacy, click&clean and apparmor enabled. I am not at all an expert on security issues but it seems with this configuration, firefox is a very secure browser. The only feature I dislike, is that new versions of firefox are released too frequently, some times even within 8days (e.g., from 19.0.1 to 19.0.2) and then I have to upgrade to that version followed by updatation/upgradation of some other sections of software too as required by update manager and in addition, I will have to upgrade to new versions of adblockplus and no script as a result of updating to new version of firefox. This has become irritating. Is there any other web-browser which is as secure as firefox with my current setting but which does not require so frequent updatation? Its true that with new versions of a software we are making the browser more secure and updatation is itself a good security measure but on the other hand if the chain of updatation becomes painful then I may have to think of using some other browser. It would have been nice if instead of releasing an entire version of firefox they would only fix the reported flaws, just like we receive support for ubuntu long-term-support versions. So can experts suggest some other browser as I specified above?

Cheesemill
March 12th, 2013, 06:19 PM
How about Firefox ESR...

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

vasa1
March 12th, 2013, 06:23 PM
I use firefox 19.0 ubuntu 12.04. I have add ons like noscript, adblockplus, betterprivacy, click&clean and apparmor enabled. I am not at all an expert on security issues but it seems with this configuration, firefox is a very secure browser. The only feature I dislike, is that new versions of firefox are released too frequently, some times even within 8days (e.g., from 19.0.1 to 19.0.2) and then I have to upgrade to that version followed by updatation/upgradation of some other sections of software too as required by update manager and in addition, I will have to upgrade to new versions of adblockplus and no script as a result of updating to new version of firefox. This has become irritating. Is there any other web-browser which is as secure as firefox with my current setting but which does not require so frequent updatation? Its true that with new versions of a software we are making the browser more secure and updatation is itself a good security measure but on the other hand if the chain of updatation becomes painful then I may have to think of using some other browser. It would have been nice if instead of releasing an entire version of firefox they would only fix the reported flaws, just like we receive support for ubuntu long-term-support versions. So can experts suggest some other browser as I specified above?

What is your exact problem? Is it the bandwidth?

JLeon85
March 12th, 2013, 06:24 PM
What's wrong with Chrome? I know it's really insecure on Windows, but it seems fine on Linux.

kuifje09
March 12th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Hi newher_m, What you say is exacly my concern too. Too many updates is not showing much affection with the "customer" and makes me think they do not much testing before spreading an update.

Soul-Sing
March 12th, 2013, 07:17 PM
New firefox policy is: very frequent releases. Sometimes security related, but also marketing related.
Ubuntu has chromium afaik. A stable platform.

newhere_m
March 12th, 2013, 07:30 PM
To vasa1: There are two problems, one is the bandwidth issue as you guessed and the other I had already explained: it is frequent repitition of updatation of firefox and associated packages. Would people be plesased if we were asked to install new versions of ubuntu every two weeks instead of providing support for a particular version for a reasonably longer period?

vasa1
March 13th, 2013, 12:46 AM
To vasa1: There are two problems, one is the bandwidth issue as you guessed and the other I had already explained: it is frequent repitition of updatation of firefox and associated packages. Would people be plesased if we were asked to install new versions of ubuntu every two weeks instead of providing support for a particular version for a reasonably longer period?

Aside from the bandwidth, the fact that the software is updated frequently is quite irrelevant to me. The issue of extensions breaking was quite real when Firefox first moved to the rapid release cycle but is hardly an issue for the end user now.

Anyway, as has been suggested, the ESR track may be suited for people who want less change. AFAIK, Firefox is the only browser to have such a track.

Also, this thread doesn't seem to have much to do with "security" per se but is more to do with the recurring discussion of the merits/demerits of rapid releases.

newhere_m
March 13th, 2013, 03:43 AM
Thanks for suggestion.
I agree this is a bit off-topic in this section so this should be relocated at its appropriate place. But how do I make such a request and to whom?

cariboo
March 13th, 2013, 05:03 AM
To have a thread moved, or anything else to do with it or a post, click the report post butoon at the bottom of your profile on the left, or to the right, if you have the profile on top of the posts.

BTW thread moved to the Cafe.

pinballwizard
March 13th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Lynx.

Soul-Sing
March 13th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Lynx.
geek :)

aysiu
March 13th, 2013, 01:24 PM
I don't remember the exact procedure, but I believe you can freeze package versions, so you don't have to auto-update Firefox, even if you keep your other Ubuntu packages up to date.

coldraven
March 13th, 2013, 01:46 PM
No problems here!
I have 10 add-ons including the ones you listed and none complained throughout the recent round of updates.
This is on Ubuntu 12.10 with Firefox 19.02

MadmanRB
March 13th, 2013, 02:52 PM
What's wrong with Chrome? I know it's really insecure on Windows, but it seems fine on Linux.

Source?

mr john
March 13th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Source?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=chrome+insecure+windows

JLeon85
March 13th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Source?

My own experience. When I was using it on Windows I would find extensions installed that I didn't want and hadn't requested. Then deleting them would require uninstalling whatever malware it was linked to in the task manager. I'm not aware of any such thing ever occurring on Linux.

aysiu
March 13th, 2013, 03:53 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=chrome+insecure+windows That's actually not helpful.

mastablasta
March 14th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I don't remember the exact procedure, but I believe you can freeze package versions, so you don't have to auto-update Firefox, even if you keep your other Ubuntu packages up to date.

in synaptic you can lock packages to their versions

lynx does seem a good choice to avoid those scripts and java and flash.... not sure how secure it really is. it definatelly wasn't updated in a while.

MadmanRB
March 14th, 2013, 08:32 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=chrome+insecure+windows

not helpful in the slightest.