PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB ext keyboard: alphanumeric keystrokes not recognised

henrylaw
March 12th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Bizarre condition on my newly-installed 12.04 system, running 32-bit on oldish hardware. Worked fine until yesterday; now when I log in regular keystrokes (alphanumeric, for example) are not recognised by any application running under Unity: Terminal and Firefox for example. The "super" key is recognised and brings up the dash, but I can't then type into the search box. If I open Terminal using the mouse then I can't type into it, but each keypress makes the cursor flash, as if some kind of interrupt were being recognised.

I can open a TTY session using Crtl/Alt/F1; the keyboard then works fine; but when I come back to Unity via Ctrl/Alt/F7 the not-listening-to-you condition remains.

What have I done since it last worked? Removed (what I thought were) all the Libreoffice packages; I did this programatically using
sudo apt-get remove `dpkg -l | grep libreoffice | awk '{print $2}' | tr "\\n" " "` but that means I can't immediately look in history to see which packages I removed.

Any suggestions? If it's a package that I've mistakenly removed, do you know which one?