PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop dont open, returns to login screen

mandza
March 12th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Hi,
i am using ubuntu 12.04LTS
i used it without any problem, but 1 week ago i just couldnt open my desktop.
when i select my user name i write password, i just return to same place dont open my desktop.
But when i select guest user i login with out any problem.
What problem can be and how can i fix this without re-installation?
Thanks a lot.

Toz
March 12th, 2013, 11:48 AM
You might be suffering from the .Xauthority issue where your user doesn't have ownership of that file. Try going to the first tty (Ctrl+Alt+F1), logging into the text console and deleting that file like this:

rm .Xauthority
...then returning the graphical log-in screen (Ctrl+Alt+F7) and trying to log in again.

ibjsb4
March 12th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Check to be sure your on the right desktop at login. When I upgraded to 12.04.01, it bumped be back to ubuntu-desktop which I do not have installed and did the same thing.

mandza
March 12th, 2013, 08:37 PM
i am now on windows, but i will try it as soonest as possible. Thank you a lot.

mandza
March 13th, 2013, 08:49 PM
i had go to the first tty and i successfully loged in.
but i couldnt open my home folder. i recive error message as on the photo attached.http://img.1zh.us/rb.php?p=489

schragge
March 13th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Try this

sudo touch /forcefsck
and reboot. This should force full filesystem check on the next boot. If it doesn't help then probably your hard disk is dying.

mandza
March 14th, 2013, 08:33 AM
schragge thank you for your replay, i will try it, but i use SSD.
if sudo touch /forcefsck dont repair it, does it mean that i need new disk?

schragge
March 14th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Not necessarily. I guess a physical failure of an SSD is less likely. BTW, does your /home resides in its own partition? If your system still seems to work on the command line otherwise than the problems with /home then you can try troubleshooting it further by installing smartmontools

sudo apt-get install smartmontools and running
sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda Replace sda with the name of the disk where your /home resides.

mandza
March 14th, 2013, 02:34 PM
after i run sudo touch /forcefsck and reboot my pc i am opened my home directory but i couldnt find any daa in it. just lost+found folder and empty desktop folder in it.
i think i had lose all my daha in home folder. if i had to i will reinstall my system again.
Thank you all for your help

mandza
March 14th, 2013, 02:48 PM
i opened tty with Ctrl+Alt+F1 and go to home folder,
after that i create new folder with my username, after that my problem with login was solved.
But non of my programs of files was there, all data is lost.
i think that somehow my home folder was deleted, but i dont know how.
Now i can use my Ubuntu but without programs and files :(
thank you all again.

schragge
March 14th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Perhaps you will be able to recover some of your data from /lost+found (http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/lostfound.html).

mandza
March 14th, 2013, 03:16 PM
is there any specific method for recovering data from /lost+found ???
becouse when i open it, i see just two folder, and in booth of them is empty Desktop folder, nothing else.
And i want to add one note for my frevious post.
my programs are still installed on my pc they just dont show up on my side bar. i had to put them my self again.