PDA

View Full Version : May not go back to Debain after all

jpaulb
March 12th, 2013, 02:44 AM
Ubuntu GNOME Is Now An Official Ubuntu Flavor (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTMyMzg)

The Ubuntu Tech Board approved last week that Ubuntu GNOME is now an official flavor/derivative of Ubuntu Linux.

As some non-Mir news, Tim Lunn of the Ubuntu GNOME project wrote into Phoronix that the OS spin is now an official Ubuntu flavor. Ubuntu GNOME was originally released last year in conjunction with Ubuntu 12.10, but now the flavor has been approved by the Tech Board per the IRC meeting logs (http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2013/ubuntu-meeting.2013-03-04-21.00.log.html).

iamkuriouspurpleoranj
March 12th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Very nice. The trouble with Gnome Shell (3.4) in Debian Testing is the fact that the dozen Gnome games are tied to the meta-package. So any attempt to remove Gnabbles and pals threatens to pull down the whole Gnome Shell with it. That and the fact that with my PC it defaults to fallback mode until the proprietary drivers are installed.

jpaulb
March 12th, 2013, 12:18 PM
I prefer Gnome to the Unity desktop, actually anything is preferred to that. I am using XFCE or xubuntu 99% of the time.

mr john
March 13th, 2013, 03:41 PM
I prefer Gnome to the Unity desktop, actually anything is preferred to that. I am using XFCE or xubuntu 99% of the time.

How interesting. Maybe we should base the whole Linux eco-system on your preference. We could rename it from Linux to JPaulbux. Do you think the developers would be up for that?

DVD-R
March 13th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Hi jPaulb,
When you say "Debian" do you mean the Debian distro....... like Debian squeeze?
Its on my list of distro(s) to try out.
I understand they may have a flavor still using Gnome 2?
But don't know much about how they compare to the Ubuntu fork.

Interested in any info you are inclined to share :-]

jpaulb
March 14th, 2013, 01:17 AM
How interesting. Maybe we should base the whole Linux eco-system on your preference. We could rename it from Linux to JPaulbux. Do you think the developers would be up for that?

JPaulbux is too long maybe bux or pux.

mJayk
March 14th, 2013, 01:26 AM

Oh what a **** you sound :)

cariboo
March 14th, 2013, 03:08 AM
Removed double post.

jpaulb
March 25th, 2013, 03:40 AM
Hi jPaulb,
When you say "Debian" do you mean the Debian distro....... like Debian squeeze?
Its on my list of distro(s) to try out.
I understand they may have a flavor still using Gnome 2?
But don't know much about how they compare to the Ubuntu fork.

Interested in any info you are inclined to share :-]

I am slow to get back to you. Ubuntu is based on Debian, which is more conservative, a bit more difficult to install. It require thinking. Their stable release is a production release, which is available when it is available, it could be 6 months or 18 months. the Debian site can explain it better than I can. I do not know where Ubuntu is going, some of the decisions make me think of the Microsoft of Linux, others are far reaching. I would like to see a collaboration between all the Linux distros that could produce an OS that would kick MS ass. It is counter productive for X and rising number of flavours Linux competing for a niche market

cariboo
March 25th, 2013, 04:57 AM
@jpaulb, there are many commercial enterprises that pay developers to work on Linux, some of them are competitors for the same market share, do you really think that they would all agree to work on only one linux distribution?

iamkuriouspurpleoranj
March 25th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Real Debian is not so easy, coming straight from Ubuntu. This is why people who decide they don't like Ubuntu often just jump to the green ship, which is the same OS just with a different theme and a slightly clearer update tool. Really, I'm writing this from an über-pimped-out CentOS with Catalyst etc. but was still out-foxed by a Debian installation yesterday.

ade234uk
March 25th, 2013, 09:22 AM
I really like Debian when I tried it. Be prepared to do some work though. Take it as a good learning experience. Ubuntu, Mint, Kubuntu we are seriously spoilt.

Peripheral Visionary
March 25th, 2013, 09:55 AM
You can get an "unofficial" Debian net-install CD that has some of the needed firmware already on it. Installation is easy enough, but getting everything to "just work" the way it does in Ubuntu is a big investment of time and thought. My friend actually kept a "Debian diary" to keep track of what he did, what worked and what didn't, what he had learned, stuff like that. It took him about two months to get Debian all set, and it couldn't be done at all if he had stuck to a strict interpretation of the "Debian Way." When he finally declared victory he was laughing at himself. He wrote,

I could have done this in minutes instead of months. What I finally ended up with is so little different from Xubuntu that it really wasn't worth all that work.
But it was just for the learning experience, and "bragging rights," as he called it. I was like, "yeah but I'd rather run applications, than the operating system. You go right ahead if you want to" and suddenly those "bragging rights" didn't matter to him anymore. :D

We should be very grateful for Debian though, since it's the foundation that Ubuntu is built on! Ubuntu brings the power and wonder of Debian to the rest of us, the casual users, the technically challenged non-geeky people. I give the Ubuntu developers "bragging rights" for making Debian usable by us ordinary school kids. But Debian gets even bigger "bragging rights" for building the foundation that so many other Linux distros are built upon.

mamamia88
March 25th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Real Debian is not so easy, coming straight from Ubuntu. This is why people who decide they don't like Ubuntu often just jump to the green ship, which is the same OS just with a different theme and a slightly clearer update tool. Really, I'm writing this from an über-pimped-out CentOS with Catalyst etc. but was still out-foxed by a Debian installation yesterday.

I really like Debian when I tried it. Be prepared to do some work though. Take it as a good learning experience. Ubuntu, Mint, Kubuntu we are seriously spoilt.
Really? NY experience with Debian is that its only slightly more difficult but that's just because my wireless driver is non free. But 5 minutes googling fixed that.