PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] xubuntu 11 works when no "windows" works, why?

ChaoticJ
March 10th, 2013, 11:43 PM
The only op sys that I can install and boot from is xubuntu 11. I have a sony vaio vgn-fe550g. I am sure that it uses some odd drivers for windows op sys that I cannot find in an off-the-shelf install disk. But when I use Xubuntu 11, not even Ubuntu 12.04 works, the vaio works, loads and boots into Xubuntu 11. When I get to "setting up windows" and it asks to enter to install onto a hard drive, it stalls or stops. But not Xubuntu 11. So my question is why? Many thanks

lykwydchykyn
March 11th, 2013, 03:54 AM
There's precious little data to go on here; what's the hardware? Which versions of Windows did you try? How many physical discs did you try? How many other OS did you try?

ChaoticJ
March 13th, 2013, 04:49 PM
The hardware is a sony vaio vgn-fe550g. I have tried all versions of windows-literally all. I have tried Ubuntu 12.04. But the only system that installs is Xubuntu 11. I am wondering what is it about Xubuntu 11 that makes it work when all others fail? Thanks. All windows physical disks and all Xubuntu and Ubuntu were physically all CD or DVDs.

lykwydchykyn
March 14th, 2013, 05:30 AM
The hardware is a sony vaio vgn-fe550g. I have tried all versions of windows-literally all.

Wow. And 3.1 didn't work? Did it fail to boot entirely or just leave you at a DOS prompt? ;)

I have tried Ubuntu 12.04. But the only system that installs is Xubuntu 11. I am wondering what is it about Xubuntu 11 that makes it work when all others fail? Thanks.

If you really must know the answer, it's impossible to say with the information you've given. It really depends on the nitty-gritty details of how exactly these other OS "failed".

Xubuntu is smaller and has a lighter footprint than modern versions of Windows or vanilla Ubuntu. Could be a bad RAM or Disk sector, could be a fault in the optical drive, could be bad video RAM, and for whatever reason Xubuntu didn't need to access that sector of the hardware when others did. But really who can say? This kind of stuff happens all the time.