PDA

View Full Version : looking for tool to install from source

reacocard
July 10th, 2006, 01:54 AM
I'm looking for a tool to automatically install packages from a source .tar.gz. anybody know of one that works in ubuntu? preferably command-line, but anything will do.

tonyr
July 10th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Look into checkinstall (http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/)

fluffington
July 10th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Check out dpkg-buildpackage (Ubuntu package dpkg-dev) and this chapter (http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-build.en.html) of the Debian New Maintainers' Guide (http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/). It makes .deb packages from source, which you can later upgrade or uninstall.

Edit: CheckInstall, mentioned by the previous poster, is probably a better option.

reacocard
July 10th, 2006, 02:28 AM
none of these tools are automatic enough. I want something that takes a .tar.gz archive as an argument, and either installs it or produces a .deb.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
July 10th, 2006, 03:10 AM
none of these tools are automatic enough. I want something that takes a .tar.gz archive as an argument, and either installs it or produces a .deb.

That's not possible without a package manager especially for Ubuntu that would do that, besides is it that hard to type this in terminal after unzipping a source program.

./configure
make
sudo make install

fluffington
July 10th, 2006, 03:18 AM

Why not just write a simple script yourself? Something similar to the following aught to do the job:

#!/bin/sh
cd `dirname $1`/`tar xvzf $1 | head -n1` &&\
./configure && make && sudo make install &&\
thisdir=`pwd` && cd .. &&\
rm -ri $thisdir

That'll unpack the archive, cd into the created directory, install it, and then delete the directory. The rm -i will probably be irritating, but it's there becuse I don't entirely trust this to not attempt to delete / or do something else that's just as stupid.

Edit: forgot the sudo

aysiu
July 10th, 2006, 03:21 AM
How would the script fetch all the dependencies?

P.S. Have you considered using Gentoo?

reacocard
July 10th, 2006, 03:43 AM
i'm looking for something for ubuntu, not gentoo (ugh, install everything from source? crazy.). That shell script looks good. i'll give it a go, with a few modifications. something like this:

#!/bin/sh
cd `dirname $1`/`tar xvzf $1 | head -n1` &&\
auto-apt run ./configure && make && checkinstall &&\
thisdir=`pwd` && cd .. &&\
rm -ri $thisdir

the auto-apt will get dependencies, and checkinstall will create a .deb for easy removal.

EDIT: when i run the script, it gives me this error:

/home/aren/downloads/installsource.sh: line 2: cd: /home/aren/downloads/gnome-sudoku-0.5.0/: No such file or directory
I think this means it's attempting to cd into the directory before it untars it. how do i fix this? i know nothing about bash scripting.

fluffington
July 10th, 2006, 03:47 AM
the auto-apt will get dependencies

I didn't know that. I'll have to remember it for the next time I'm trying to compile stuff.

reacocard
July 10th, 2006, 03:55 AM
yeah. it's really nice. any ideas on how to fix the error? or just point me to a bash scripting guide and i'll figure it out myself.

fluffington
July 10th, 2006, 04:11 AM
yeah. it's really nice. any ideas on how to fix the error? or just point me to a bash scripting guide and i'll figure it out myself.

It's a silly error that I would have caught had I actually tested before posting. It assumes that you're extracting to the same place as the archive, which isn't always true. If you replace `dirname $1` with `pwd`, it should work (or at least get a little further before stopping).

And here's a Bash guide (http://www.faqs.org/docs/abs/HTML/).

Edit: Noticed that gnome-sudoku is in universe and that there's a .deb on SourceForge. Not that this isn't a useful learning exercise.

reacocard
July 10th, 2006, 02:01 PM
yeah, i know gnome-sudoku is in the repos. just needed something to test the script with. will try the modification, and post my results later.