PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Install gives black screen and no activity

Bduke
March 9th, 2013, 08:13 AM
I have just purchased a HP Pavillion M6-1010X latop with Windows 7 on it it. When I try to install 12.04 it gives a blank screen. I have used the CD previously to install 12.04 on a desktop. When I first put the CD in, it brought up an "AutoPlay" window that suggested I click on "Run wubi.exe". I did that and approved it changing my computer. I then clicked on "Demo and full installation". This gave three choices. The first "Reboot now" got me nowhere, so I clicked the 3rd option "Help me to boot from CD". this loaded something OK and now when I go to the same place with the CD loaded I click on "Reboot now". This shuts down Windows and gives me a choice of Windows 7 or Ubuntu. I select "Ubuntu" and it gives a screen with a line at the top about completing the Ubuntu install and a number counts down from 5 to 0 and the screen goes blank. I see no way to get to the BIOS screen to alter the boot up choices. I have seen a lot about adding "NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2", but I see no way to get there. There is no purple screen briefly. It just goes blank. I have seen suggestions that my vidio card needs drivers. My card is Radeon 7760M Graphics 2GB. I can not get close to a place where I could get drivers. This touches some other posts on the Forum in places but none exactly. Can anyone help?

MAFoElffen
March 9th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Here's instructions for Wubi in this post:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132&p=10089820#post10089820

Bduke
March 10th, 2013, 12:59 AM
Thanks for your post. The first bit was what I was missing. I could then get into trialling Ubuntu. However there are now other issues but all have been overtaken by events for a while. We are having an extended heat wave "down ubder" and it is getting to me. I am really not well, so will have to leave all this for a while. It is all likley to get even further into the upper 30s in the next few days.