PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] usb install

geogur
March 8th, 2013, 05:39 PM
i cant get my widows 7 pc to mount my ubuntu 12.10 usb (store bought) i have shut down my fire wall and all security protection

i keep getting

boot error

-

when i try the boot helper it trys to install but kraps out before finishing

geogur
March 8th, 2013, 05:49 PM
since i don`t want to save my windows os what can i do to wipe windows of and have ububntu on the entire drive

C.S.Cameron
March 8th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Can you tell us something about your PC?
Will the flash drive work on another Computer?
Can you download a 12.10 ISO?

Malo Kingi
March 9th, 2013, 02:41 AM
Gogur, you have to first make sure your system is set up to boot from your usb first. You change that in the BIOS. On a Dell machine it’s usually F2, Toshiba is F1 or ESC, HP is F1 or F2, and IBMs usually require you to go to Start, Programs and then Thinkpad CFG to start up in the BIOS. Simply installing the .iso on a usb will not work (I found this out the hard way). I followed the instructions here (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows) to create a usb install. You can then choose to wipe your entire HDD or dual boot if you wish. I hope this helps with your question. Good luck.

Mark Phelps
March 9th, 2013, 02:11 PM
From experience, I would strongly advise AGAINST simply wiping Win7 -- until you have at least TRIED Ubuntu on your PC and confirm it works OK.

Once you get the booting working, choose the Try Ubuntu option and see how well it detects your hardware and installs working drivers. This gives you a chance to get solutions to driver problems BEFORE you wipe out Win7. That way, when you do install Ubuntu, you have a better chance of it working well.

geogur
March 12th, 2013, 03:07 PM
i did manage to get it working i had to format the usb there was a boot loader issue , but i think i have a server install for i cant turn off my system it shuts down and it logs off but sits at the ubuntu screen with the tower still running

geogur
March 12th, 2013, 03:16 PM
i did format the usb but i think i downloaded a sever install for i cant shutdown

geogur
March 12th, 2013, 03:18 PM
how do i mark this a solved im trying to find the solved button but cant find it

geogur
March 15th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Gogur, you have to first make sure your system is set up to boot from your usb first. You change that in the BIOS. On a Dell machine it’s usually F2, Toshiba is F1 or ESC, HP is F1 or F2, and IBMs usually require you to go to Start, Programs and then Thinkpad CFG to start up in the BIOS. Simply installing the .iso on a usb will not work (I found this out the hard way). I followed the instructions here (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows) to create a usb install. You can then choose to wipe your entire HDD or dual boot if you wish. I hope this helps with your question. Good luck.

i had to format the store bought usb from ubuntu.com and reload it with the boot loader the store bought usb was missing . i got together with a freind who helped me determine my usb was incomplete ?

its all good now im running ubuntu12.10 on entire disk

now i just ned the shut down file my system wont shut down