PDA

View Full Version : Language Packs

Akhj
March 8th, 2013, 03:09 AM
Hello,

While installing Ubuntu 12.04, i observed that it downloads the Language Packs which takes too much time on a slow internet connection :mad:. Any idea how to avoid that during installation ? After installation it is ok to download all the updates but during installation its hard to just sit idle.

Thanks & Regards

vanadium
March 8th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Just do not connect to the internet while installing, if you prefer to have the updates after the installation.

Akhj
March 9th, 2013, 03:55 AM
Hello Vanadium,

Thanks that was really quick.
Now when i am done with installation, please tell me how to install those packages using terminal.

grahammechanical
March 9th, 2013, 03:59 PM
You will not need to install language packages because you chose a language during the installation. If you want to install another language or another language keyboard layout after installation you can do that through System Settings> Language Support and Keyboard. We only install Ubuntu with one language anyway. Other languages for the system or simply as keyboard layouts are done after installation using system settings.

During installation Ubuntu copies files from the CD to RAM and towards the end of the installation process it removes some of those files (including language packs) from RAM. I am not sure that these are downloaded during installation. Unless we tick to update during installation and there are newer versions of those packages available.

Regards.

Akhj
March 9th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Thanks (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1087323)grahammechanical , but vanadium's suggestion worked for me. Yes ofcourse those language packs are downloaded during installation if 1 is connected with a network, regardless of chosing keyboard layout initially.