PDA

View Full Version : 10 most frequently asked question

Buffalo Soldier
March 21st, 2005, 10:07 AM
Dear moderators,

Is there any way to know top 10 most frequently asked question in this forum?

It seems one of the most frequent question I see is related to problem in dual booting, installing windows after linux, grub menu.lst & error, and sound.

If anyone posted the same question, it would be easier to redirect them to threads that have been discussing these problems rather than starting all over again.

Don't mean to be grumpy, but just a bit tired :(

lao_V
March 21st, 2005, 10:21 AM
One of the most frustrating question that I have come across many many times is the "my root account doesn't work"

carlc
March 21st, 2005, 05:14 PM
I agree that it would be helpful. There are a lot of questions that do seem to come up over and over and I am guilty of asking some of them. However, even when searching before posting, it can take a while to find out if the question has been addressed before depending on when the post was made.

telmo
March 21st, 2005, 05:38 PM
I know wxactly what you mean, and i tink your'e right, but it's more likely to be 50 top questions... :) We're talking about linux and when it comes to hardware or installing, there are always loads of questions.

But i think it's very necessary.

mike998
March 21st, 2005, 06:00 PM
The FAQ could be linked to ubuntuguide and that would probably solve most people's problems.

carlc
March 21st, 2005, 10:55 PM
good idea, taking a look at the guide should answer many of the questions that come up

jdodson
March 21st, 2005, 11:05 PM
Dear moderators,

Is there any way to know top 10 most frequently asked question in this forum?

It seems one of the most frequent question I see is related to problem in dual booting, installing windows after linux, grub menu.lst & error, and sound.

If anyone posted the same question, it would be easier to redirect them to threads that have been discussing these problems rather than starting all over again.

Don't mean to be grumpy, but just a bit tired :(

yeah it seems the most frequently asked questions are things you mentioned and a few others.

why did ubuntu bork my windows partition?

why can't ubuntu play flash, mp3, divx, real, quicktime, windows media, codec X native?

why does ubuntu not include <insert program here> by default?

why is there no root account?

why is there no bootsplash?

why is the install text based?

why is there no default firewall?

why can't i search the forums like i should before posing something people have asked a thousands times before?

most of those questions can be answered via a simple forward to http://www.ubuntuguide.org

the others can be found to be answered by running a simple search on the forums here or at the wiki (http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/FrontPage).

bored2k
March 21st, 2005, 11:10 PM
My .exe won't open, how _ _ _ ?

Buffalo Soldier
March 22nd, 2005, 12:46 AM
Clasification of newbies:
Computer Newbie:

No experience in repartitioning, formating and reinstalling windows. A little experience in configuring their Windows system.
FAQ: Installing windows after Linux.

Linux Newbie:

Have experience in repartitioning, formating and reinstalling windows. A lot of experience in configuring their Windows system.
FAQ: Setting up nautilus in browses mode. Looking for things that look & function like their Windows counterpart.

Ubuntu Newbie:

Have install and run other GNU/Linux distribution.
FAQ: sudo, apt-get.

I think the main challenge is helping or setting up a guide for the type 1 newbie. I guess the root of the problem is most try to install Ubuntu without spending some time reading and making notes about their system hardware.

telmo
March 22nd, 2005, 12:47 AM
LOL

btw... you have more than 1000 posts!?!? WOW!

bored2k
March 22nd, 2005, 12:54 AM
LOL

btw... you have more than 1000 posts!?!? WOW!
[ I guess you are talking to me ]

Yes, I have been -bored- the past few days :roll: .

MaZiNgA
March 22nd, 2005, 01:24 AM

well ure bored2k so I guess when u reach 2k posts u'll be allright! :p

BTW, my .EXE's run fine with wine! (that rhymes)

telmo
March 22nd, 2005, 01:31 AM

eheheh... so have i... :) By the time i reach 200 posts you'll be at 2000! lol

bored2k
March 22nd, 2005, 01:44 AM
well ure bored2k so I guess when u reach 2k posts u'll be allright! :p

BTW, my .EXE's run fine with wine! (that rhymes)
Lol

and dude, that .exe thing was a joke lol [mine ran in Xover, once I manage to configure it on Hoary]

bored2k
March 22nd, 2005, 01:45 AM
eheheh... so have i... :) By the time i reach 200 posts you'll be at 2000! lol
Not likely, you are only 30 left , me ... i have 900 to go lol .
1,300 maybe? :-P

TravisNewman
March 22nd, 2005, 03:23 AM
Well, here's the thing. MOST of these questions ARE covered in the faq on the website.
People just don't want to take the time to read.

bored2k
March 22nd, 2005, 03:29 AM
Well, here's the thing. MOST of these questions ARE covered in the faq on the website.
I wish Ubuntu's 1st startup would open like Knoppix's: with a big Full Screen Firefox with
1. Ubuntu Official FAQ
2. Ubuntu Unofficial Guide [but then it would not be unofficial ..]

That would reduce the thread topic repetition by at least 20% here .

poofyhairguy
March 22nd, 2005, 08:07 PM
I wish Ubuntu's 1st startup would open like Knoppix's: with a big Full Screen Firefox with
1. Ubuntu Official FAQ
2. Ubuntu Unofficial Guide [but then it would not be unofficial ..]

That would reduce the thread topic repetition by at least 20% here .

Maybe a link to the official forums, which then (hint hint) could put a big link at the top leading to the unofficial faq. We need a link to the guide on these forums before Hoary comes or we will be washed away in tons of questions it can answer.

The only day I wish I was a mod....

kahping
March 26th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Maybe a link to the official forums, which then (hint hint) could put a big link at the top leading to the unofficial faq. We need a link to the guide on these forums before Hoary comes or we will be washed away in tons of questions it can answer.

that's a nice idea. but then again, it still doesn't solve the problem mentioned in an earlier reply post: a lot of people are just plain lazy and don't want to read the FAQ first before asking questions.

if only there was a 'miracle pill' for that... :-k

kahping

az
March 26th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Is the documentation provided on the cd adequate?

How does one know to use the middle button to open thing in nautilus?

How does one find out about hardware that does not work?

I am just asking what people think is the path of least resistance.

Buffalo Soldier
March 26th, 2005, 01:33 PM

The only day I wish I was a mod....
I think the week after Hoary official release will be hell in here.

I'm thinking of preparing something like an answer template for the most frequent asked question.

Not the one thats already covered by Ubuntuguide.org, but the kinda questions that we're already tired of answering like .EXE, where's my root? and etc ...... but dunno how or where to start.

arctic
March 26th, 2005, 01:56 PM
hehehe... i can tell you from other forums where i have been that with every new release there will be a great amount of questions arising from the community. and 90% of those questions will be identical with issues/questions for 4.10 warty.

i have answered so many questions over and over again that one day, after roughly 1200 posts in one forum, 500 in another and some 300 in a third one, i got annoyed and asked myself: why do i answer those questions over and over again? the reason is simple: everyone was a noob once. and if i think back to those days when i started with linux, there was no big forum activity and i was almost lost with my questions. so, if we stop answering the most basic questions over and over again, people will get lost and turn their back on linux as only 5% of computer users can be called "experienced" users.

i expect that the two most frequently asked questions with hoary will be:
1. can i upgrade my warty to hoary? is it difficult?
2. my installation does not work, what am i doing wrong?

okay, let's smile and await the questions.

Buffalo Soldier
March 26th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Buffalo Soldier reporting for duty SIR!

Yes, still remember the day I was a newb and making all foolish mistakes (still making a lot of those even now).

mark
March 27th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Sad but true. A lot (probably a majority) of people DON'T/WON'T read, others either don't (or don't know how to) search.

However, don't overlook the "handholding" factor. I think there's a fair percentage of bright, intelligent people that simply want the reassurance of "am I doing it right?". Some will be complete Linux neophytes, others may have experience with non-Debian distros (like myself, when I first found Ubuntu) and are simply unsure of how things work with this Linux "flavor".

With the imminent release of 5.04, I think we all acknowledge that traffic is gonna increase. I also think it's important to remember that one of the key strengths of Ubuntu has been the community - the willingness to help, the lack of "RTFM" replies and the genuine sense of "welcome" on these fora. Absolutely - point people towards the existing resources - but do so in the same spirit that has (dare I say it?) made these fora some of the best places to hang around on the Web.

tkiesel
March 28th, 2005, 02:58 AM
With the imminent release of 5.04, I think we all acknowledge that traffic is gonna increase. I also think it's important to remember that one of the key strengths of Ubuntu has been the community - the willingness to help, the lack of "RTFM" replies and the genuine sense of "welcome" on these fora. Absolutely - point people towards the existing resources - but do so in the same spirit that has (dare I say it?) made these fora some of the best places to hang around on the Web.

Yeah. :smile:

I'm ready to meet some new folks who are trying Ubuntu for the first time, and maybe help a few folks out when Hoary gets released. Course, I have a limited spectrum of help abilities given that I've got about two months of GNU/Linux under my belt. (Ubuntu only) But, I ironed out about a half-dozen snags using nothing but my own love of tinkering and these forums, so it's a resource that just plain works.

Much love to everyone.

bored2k
March 28th, 2005, 03:05 AM
Yeah. :smile:

I'm ready to meet some new folks who are trying Ubuntu for the first time, and maybe help a few folks out when Hoary gets released. Course, I have a limited spectrum of help abilities given that I've got about two months of GNU/Linux under my belt. (Ubuntu only) But, I ironed out about a half-dozen snags using nothing but my own love of tinkering and these forums, so it's a resource that just plain works.

Much love to everyone.
I'm already predicting I'm going to post http://www.ubuntuguide.org about 8 times a day and a lot of "we have a search link you know" here ..

poofyhairguy
March 28th, 2005, 06:18 AM
I think there's a fair percentage of bright, intelligent people that simply want the reassurance of "am I doing it right?". .

Good point. Maybe also some people that just want to test the waters in the forum, and take baby steps to join the community. I'll be nice and friendly, that what got me hooked!