PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Network interfaces not working on Toshiba Satellite C855-S5347 dual boot

berniejv
March 7th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Hey everybody,

So I just bought a toshiba satellite C855-S5347 with the intention of using it primarily as a unix laptop.

I set it up as a dual boot with the pre-installed windows 8. I disabled the secure boot from the UEFI interface, installed 12.04.2 LTS, but then had my hopes crushed...

While the install went smoothly, when I booted up in Linux it recognizes _neither_ network interface, wired or wireless!

The Ethernet card is a Qualcomm Atheros AR8162/8166/8168 (NDIS 6.30)

The wireless is a Realtek RTL8723AE

No clue how to proceed other than to trade this thing in...

Thanks in advance for the help,

-Joel

ubfan1
April 14th, 2013, 02:30 AM
Networking is an issue, with neither ethernet Atheros 8161 nor wireless Realtek 8723AE working. Googled for info on the RTL8723 and found that while
nothing is available directly from Realtek, a dropbox tarball ostensibly from a Realtek technician did have the source for the driver and its firmware --
rtl_92ce_92se_92de_8723ae_linux_mac80211_0007.0809 .2012.tar.gz

Put the tarball on a USB data drive, bring it to the Toshiba, and unpacked it. Looked at the code, added -m64 to my driver Makefile since I know it is for a 64 bit system (but that's probably not necessary, try without and if it doesn't work, add it), and made the driver

make

and installed it:

sudo make install

Reboot or add the module yourself
sudo modprobe rtl8723e

Now network-manager should start scanning, and give you a list of access points.

Once connected, update the system, and the new kernels will include the alx driver for the ethernet.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade