PDA

View Full Version : LibreOffice 4.0.1 Final (2013-03-06)

The Spectre
March 6th, 2013, 12:23 PM
LibreOffice 4.0.1 Final is Released...

http://www.libreoffice.org/download

MadmanRB
March 6th, 2013, 03:52 PM
And still no PPA

vasa1
March 6th, 2013, 04:33 PM
And still no PPA
Maybe there's a shortage of someone to do the work?

Jakin
March 7th, 2013, 12:33 AM
I have the normal LibreOffice ppa which gave the upgrade to 4.0.1.1 just yesterday. I must say libreOffice is much faster than before, but haven't really explored new features.

na5h
March 7th, 2013, 08:58 AM
LibreOffice 4.0.1 is now available through the main PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa

...the Unity appmenu is working too!

The Spectre
March 7th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I have found it Quicker to just Download the deb files from http://www.libreoffice.org/download/?nodetect and install LibreOffice manually.

Sometimes it takes forever for the PPA's to get updated. (I'm impatient)

Plus you cant get much easier than "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" to install it.

Just follow the instructions in the README file included in the Download and you should be fine.

neu5eeCh
March 7th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Document Foundation keeps touting its compatibility with DOC & DOCX. But there's one item -- so simple, so basic, so elementary, so freaking uncomplicated and obvious -- that, to my knowledge, they still haven't done anything about it. Is it possible to vertically center text without creating boxes, frames and balancing spoons on ones nose? Conversely, up through 3.6, if I vertically centered a wee tiny period ---> . <--- with Word, just one little pixel (not even a DOCX file but DOC), and tried to open it with LO. LO would barf all over my laptop. Has this changed? :popcorn:

na5h
March 8th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I have found it Quicker to just Download the deb files from http://www.libreoffice.org/download/?nodetect and install LibreOffice manually.

Sometimes it takes forever for the PPA's to get updated. (I'm impatient)

Plus you cant get much easier than "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" to install it.

Just follow the instructions in the README file included in the Download and you should be fine.

The manual download didn't have support for the Unity appmenu. Don't know whether they've fixed it yet...

vanadium
March 8th, 2013, 12:06 PM
...the Unity appmenu is working too!
It isn't. That is, the menu is indeed hidden in the top bar, but you cannot open it using the usual hotkeys, e.g. alt+f to open the file menu. For this reason, I still disable the global menu, although I like it very much if it works well as in other applications.

ssam
March 8th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Document Foundation keeps touting its compatibility with DOC & DOCX. But there's one item -- so simple, so basic, so elementary, so freaking uncomplicated and obvious -- that, to my knowledge, they still haven't done anything about it. Is it possible to vertically center text without creating boxes, frames and balancing spoons on ones nose? Conversely, up through 3.6, if I vertically centered a wee tiny period ---> . <--- with Word, just one little pixel (not even a DOCX file but DOC), and tried to open it with LO. LO would barf all over my laptop. Has this changed? :popcorn:

I guess that is this issue https://www.libreoffice.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=36117

If you have a simple doc/docx file with vertically aligned text that LO fails to open attach it to the bug.

The Spectre
March 8th, 2013, 01:22 PM
The manual download didn't have support for the Unity appmenu. Don't know whether they've fixed it yet...

You are 100% Correct.:D

Manual Install -------------------------------------------------------PPA Inatall
239896 239897

Originally LibreOffice 4.0.1 would not come up when I added the Main PPA ppa:libreoffice/ppa so I ended up trying the 4.0.x PPA ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-4-0.

That allowed me to install LibreOffice 4.0.1 but the appmenu did not work correctly plus the LibreOffice Toolbar Menu looked different and Not in a good way.

So I installed it Manually and like you pointed out the appmenu was not working but at least the Toolbar Menu looked the way it is supposed to.

I just tested the ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-4-0 in VirtualBox and it is now working correctly also.

Maybe they were still uploading some of the Packages or maybe something was FUBAR that has since been fixed.

I wonder if it matters which PPA is used, the Main PPA or the 4.0.x PPA to keep LibreOffice 4 up to date?

rewyllys
March 8th, 2013, 02:17 PM
. . . .I just tested the ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-4-0 in VirtualBox and it is now working correctly also.

Maybe they were still uploading some of the Packages or maybe something was FUBAR that has since been fixed. . . .
Reassured by your comments, I just followed na5h's suggestion of adding the LibreOffice ppa, ignored the warning that appears in the terminal, added

sudo apt-get update and, using the Synaptic Package Manager, easily installed LibreOffice 4.0.1 in Linux Mint Maya (which is based on Ubuntu 12.04).

LO 4.0.1 appears to be functioning just fine.

neu5eeCh
March 8th, 2013, 04:48 PM
I guess that is this issue https://www.libreoffice.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=36117

If you have a simple doc/docx file with vertically aligned text that LO fails to open attach it to the bug.

Yeah... :roll: That's *my* bug report. Apparently, I'm not squeaking loudly enough.:biggrin:

na5h
March 9th, 2013, 07:01 PM
I wonder if it matters which PPA is used, the Main PPA or the 4.0.x PPA to keep LibreOffice 4 up to date?
Well...the 4.0.x PPA will only get updates for LibreOffice 4, whereas the main PPA will get updates for future versions as well (and will update LibreOffice 4 to the next version when it becomes available).

helotbc
March 12th, 2013, 03:20 AM
Any word on when LOv4 will be added to the repo's?

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
March 13th, 2013, 03:48 AM
Version 4.0.1.2 (Build ID: 400m0(Build:2)) is in the raring repos