PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I use AMD or OpenGL drivers?

Acharn
March 6th, 2013, 09:04 AM
I just installed a HIS AMD Radeon HD 6670 graphics card. I'm currently using Ubuntu 12.04 but am willing to upgrade if there's reason to. I'm not a gamer, but I do like to play an occasional game and I was not happy with the graphics performance of many games under WINE. My old card was an AMD Radeon x1550, and even their legacy drivers could not be installed (the installation script said it was incompatible with Linux kernels more recent than... I don't remember now, several kernels ago). I've been happy with the open source drivers that come with Ubuntu, but found I couldn't get the resolution I want when trying Ubuntu 12.10 from a bootable USB stick.

Most of the threads I've found about installing the HD 6670 talk about how to install the AMD proprietary driver, fglrx. AMD just threw a bunch of their older cards into legacy mode and over the last couple of years I've seen complaints about how AMD doesn't support the Linux community. I developed a love/hate feeling toward Microsoft that carries over to all proprietary software, but in this case I've already bought the hardware. I'd like to hear opinions: would I get enough improvement with the proprietary drivers to make it worthwhile to install them? I haven't tried booting up in 12.10 since installing the new card, so maybe it will be necessary no matter what I want, but for now I seem to be able to do the things I want to. I can view downloaded videos, watch streaming clips from YouTube and other sites. There may be issues with 3D animation or something that I haven't bumped into yet. What are your thoughts?