PDA

View Full Version : Free Geek is now using Dapper Drake

Stew2
July 9th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Hi all.
Quite a few of you have probably heard of Free Geek, a non profit organization in Portland Oregon that accepts unwanted computer donations, refurbishes them and then gives them to people who don't have computers. I just got their monthly newsletter and they have switched from a custom Debian distro to Dapper Drake on the computers they are building. I think this is great for Ubuntu as Free Geek puts out a lot of machines and this will help others see what a great OS Ubuntu really is. I can't think of a distro that would describe the Free Geek organization better than Ubuntu's humanity to others slogan. I wish we had something like Free Geek local to me, I'd volunteer in a heartbeat. If you havent heard of them, check out this link :D

http://freegeek.org/

Regards,
Stew2

Edit: If you go to the site and look under free software it states that they are using Debian, I assume they haven't had a chance to update the page since switching to Dapper yet! :)

tminton
July 9th, 2006, 10:56 PM
That is cool! :D
But if there is not something similar in your area,
it could be that you're the one to start it? ;)

Stew2
July 10th, 2006, 12:00 AM
That is cool! :D
But if there is not something similar in your area,
it could be that you're the one to start it? ;)

I wish! :D I got a bunch of info from them on starting one up, looks like a huge job. More time than I think I have available. Very noble cause though! They wouldn't be able to do what they do if they had to buy Windows licences, OSS saves the day! :D