PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it necessary to upgrade to newer version?

kedar5
March 5th, 2013, 02:55 PM
I am using Ubuntu 10.10 since it was released. I really like it.
Now since it is out of date and unsupported, people warn me that my system is open to intruders.
Is it really necessary to install a supported version on my system?

Frogs Hair
March 5th, 2013, 03:16 PM
The only way to continue to install software is if you locate and activate the old repository . You will get no new versions of your favorite programs and no security or other updates which are important especially for Internet use. You won't be able to update Firefox because of dependency problems or run newer add-ons in many cases. Because 11.04 is end of life also you will not be able to upgrade and will have to do a clean installation of your next Ubuntu version .

cortman
March 5th, 2013, 03:26 PM
If the user interface of the newer Ubuntu versions isn't your cup of tea (as it isn't particularly mine) you can use Xubuntu or Lubuntu (I can especially recommend Lubuntu 12.10- it looks fantastic!). They'll give you a more classic style interface (not identical to what you have with 10.10, but close) in addition to being a little more lightweight, so if anything it will run faster.

oldfred
March 5th, 2013, 05:04 PM
I went from 10.10 to 12.04, as I had installed the in-between versions in test partitions and did not particularly like Unity. Unity is now better, but I still like the old menu system.

Another choice if system is able to run full Ubuntu, is fall-back or gnome panel.

gnome3 classic
sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
On login screen click on logo (top right) and choose
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/classicgnome
12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks kansasnoob & cortman
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseGnomeClassicTweaks
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

Ralph L
March 6th, 2013, 01:12 AM
I too am faced with the problem of whether or not to update to newer systems. However, my problem is more severe. My computers are somewhat older. On my Dell D610 laptop, I can install Ubuntu 12.10, but after installation it won't boot from the hard disk. On my Compaq Presario 2100 laptop I can't even boot from the 12.10 live cd. I have entered bug reports, but I don't think they were ever looked at, as I have gotten no response. So my question is, "Should I try to fight through the problems that have been introduced into later version of ubuntu, or should I just be satisfied with running older versions.

Anybody have any advice?

grahammechanical
March 6th, 2013, 02:10 PM
@kedar5

Has your question been answered? I do not think that it has. The correct answer is that it is not necessary but it is advisable to keep up to date. As for the OS being open to intruders, that could be said of every operating system even the most up to date. We always need to take precautions. The OS will not protect us from our own stupidity. We, the users, are the greatest risk to the system being open to intruders.

Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter publishes a list of security updates. Ubuntu 10.10 is no longer included but look through the list and see the type of vulnerabilities that are being fixed. Do you think that you are likely to be affected by those vulnerabilities? Assess the level of risk for yourself. Ubuntu 10.10 did not suddenly become vulnerable to intruders after the 30th April 2012. Nor were you more secure before April 2012. Things do not work like that.

Regards.

mörgæs
March 6th, 2013, 03:37 PM
I too am faced with the problem of whether or not to update to newer systems. However, my problem is more severe. My computers are somewhat older. On my Dell D610 laptop, I can install Ubuntu 12.10, but after installation it won't boot from the hard disk. On my Compaq Presario 2100 laptop I can't even boot from the 12.10 live cd. I have entered bug reports, but I don't think they were ever looked at, as I have gotten no response. So my question is, "Should I try to fight through the problems that have been introduced into later version of ubuntu, or should I just be satisfied with running older versions.

Anybody have any advice?

Yes, a fresh install of X/Lubuntu 12.10.

Using updated software is the single most effective means of staying safe. You know for a fact that a security hole will not be fixed after end of life - no reason to take the chance.

kedar5
March 7th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Thanks for the replies.