PDA

View Full Version : Ruby Upgrade Without Damaging Dependencies.

DiagonalArg
March 5th, 2013, 10:30 AM
This is (hopefully) a basic question. I have ruby 1.8 installed on Ubuntu 12.04. This was an automatic install as the result of some dependency. I now need Ruby 1.9.3 for a class. Running:

apt-cache rdepends ruby1.8

produces a long list of packages. How do I install Ruby 1.9.3 without damaging packages that might depend on 1.8?

Thx
/DA

tgalati4
March 5th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Depending on what service you need to run, I would install a http://bitnami.org stack. This method installs a service (with all of its static dependencies) in a single directory, and it doesn't interfere with apt or repositories, or your current development environment. If you need both ruby1.8 and 1.9 for code development, then you have a problem. So which ruby is needed for development (actual coding by you) and which ruby is needed to run a service (no coding, just configuration)?

And you are correct both ruby1.8 and 1.9 have huge rdepends lists. I think 12.10 has 1.9.1 as a base ruby version. I think there is a way to have them both installed, side-by-side, with symlinks and pointers, and I did that a few years ago for some Tracks development work but I ended up doing a bitnami stack install because it was cleaner and less of a dependency mess.

DiagonalArg
March 6th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Thanks tgalati4! Great advice.