PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] hook up ubuntu phone to computer

mayagrafix
March 2nd, 2013, 11:42 PM
I'm interested and excited about hooking up an Ubuntu OS smart-phone to a desktop PC or tablet. Can anybody point me to where I can get more info?

is it going to work via a (USB) cable to a PC, or Bluetooth or just directly use an external monitor and KB?

One of the reasons I stopped carrying a cell phone is its hard for me to make out properly whats on the tiny screen. Mostly I press the green button and talk, not able to use most of today's smart phones other capabilities (such as calendar or messaging) but being able to manage the thing on nice large external monitor has promise.

I kinda envision this akin to using Itunes to manage the contents of an Ipod.

Thanks for any help -:KS-

mJayk
March 3rd, 2013, 06:30 PM
I "believe" the connection will be mini HDMI and it you will buy a little docking station.CheersM

grahammechanical
March 4th, 2013, 05:09 PM
There is a lot of information on the Ubuntu and Canonical web sites. Have you browsed through it? You may not have seen this:

http://www.zdnet.com/mark-shuttleworth-serious-people-are-saying-ubuntu-is-better-than-windows-8-on-tablets-7000011959/

Note this comment by Mark Shuttleworth.
In one version of the vision, you just get a smartphone and then you dock it to a bigger piece of glass and you get a tablet and you undock it and you have a smartphone. It's just one device. Would you find that usable?

Every thing depends on the OEMs and what they are prepared to put out in the market.
We have a silicon partner that we'll announce after the show, but they are a very significant force in the mobile ecosystem and they are optimising prototypes. and
I think phones in January, tablets in April [2014].

For myself, I might be interested in the phone that becomes a tablet and then a PC. Regards.