PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install 12.10

dgundling
March 2nd, 2013, 09:11 PM
I have 12.04 running just fine. Wanted to try 12.10. I have 3 different "live" DVDs with 12.10. One won't boot at all.The second boots and claims it finishes install but won't even try to run. The third is like the second except that It allows me to log in before it gets to the colored screen where it reports that "compiz" has enexpectedly closed. It the sends in an error report about 3 times, goes back to the color screen and stays there. Any ideas on what I might try next? Thanks for any help.

darkod
March 2nd, 2013, 09:18 PM
Try downloading another ISO file, best with torrent since it checks for corruption during download. Burn the DVD at very low speed, even at 1x. The image is not big and it won't take too much time, but the burn is better on low speeds.

Have you had any video issues earlier? Does it support your video card good?

I have noticed few 12.10 threads where it doesn't install grub2 on the MBR, so it looks like it can't boot. If you don't have another bootloader it might install but not boot until you add grub2 to the MBR from live mode.

dgundling
March 4th, 2013, 05:11 AM
Try downloading another ISO file, best with torrent since it checks for corruption during download. Burn the DVD at very low speed, even at 1x. The image is not big and it won't take too much time, but the burn is better on low speeds.

Have you had any video issues earlier? Does it support your video card good?

I have noticed few 12.10 threads where it doesn't install grub2 on the MBR, so it looks like it can't boot. If you don't have another bootloader it might install but not boot until you add grub2 to the MBR from live mode.

No video issues. Not sure how to put grub 2 on the MBR. The couple of times that I got 12.10 to claim it had installed, the reboot grub2 menue for 12.10 was really fouled up. I had a whole string of stuff after the version numbers and it didn't tell me where 12.10 was installed (ie sda 3)

I will try a download from one of the online sites as you suggested.

Thanks for the reply.

Dave