PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What version of ubuntu is the best for my computer?

nate7
March 2nd, 2013, 08:16 PM
Hey there, I'm trying to install ubuntu on my 2003 computer. It came pre-installed with windows XP, but that crashed and i've tried everything to get into safe mode. So i want to install ubuntu on it! It is a Lenovo thinkpad T42. The specs that i can get from the BIOS menu are:

1.7 Ghz Pentium M Processor
512MB RAM
Hard Drive = About 60 GB

So yea, If you could recommend any version of ubuntu that would run on my laptop, please post it.

Thanks!

EDIT: This site says the most up to date ubuntu version can run on it well
http://www.linlap.com/ibm-lenovo_thinkpad_t42

darkod
March 2nd, 2013, 08:18 PM
The standard Ubuntu version should be able to install, but even if it does it will be very slow I think.

You can try Xubuntu first, you can try it in live mode from the cd. Or install it and try it because from the hdd it should run faster than from the cd.

If you don't like how Xubuntu works, then you can try Lubuntu which is even lighter and should run faster.

nate7
March 2nd, 2013, 08:55 PM
Alright, thanks. I'll try xubuntu.

sanderj
March 2nd, 2013, 10:59 PM
EDIT: This site says the most up to date ubuntu version can run on it well
http://www.linlap.com/ibm-lenovo_thinkpad_t42

LOL!
Well, it says: "There were no problems in getting this laptop working when used with an up to date Linux distribution. It is recommended to use a Linux distribution with kernel version 2.6.16 or greater, such as Fedora Core 5 or Ubuntu 6.06."

So: Ubuntu 6.06. That was "up to date" in ... 2006.

Running Ubuntu 12.10 on this hardware won't make you happy; the system will be almost useless.

tgalati4
March 3rd, 2013, 04:14 AM
Give Linux Mint MATE 32-bit a spin. It's based on Ubuntu 12.10, but uses a forked Gnome2 environment. I've put it on 2 laptops and 2 desktops and it runs quite well. I have a T43p Thinkpad that is running Jaunty, and it will be upgraded to Linux Mint MATE soon.

TenPlus1
March 3rd, 2013, 11:42 AM
Lubuntu 12.04.2 will work perfectly on your desktop or you could try Bodhi Linux 2.2 for a more interesting experience :)