PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Suspicious "Untitled Folder" appeared on Desktop? Should I delete it?

Mahnoor
March 1st, 2013, 07:29 PM
Hi I've been using Ubuntu for a year, but I only know very basic stuff.
I noticed a suspicious looking "untitled folder" that appeared on my desktop, while I was working on a Word document a few days ago. I did not delete it at the time(--i figured if its normal, then i don't need to be worried, if not, deleting might aggravate the problem (the latter was a windows virus experience)).
I know that linux is supposed to be singularly virus free, so I wasn't really worried. Today, another folder appeared while i was working. So is it normal and should i simply delete these folders?
Each of these folders further has an untitled folder inside that doesn't seem to open. Or rather, it only opens when I select "open in a new tab". Then it has another 'untitled folder' in it, which also opens only in a new tab, and it goes on.
And now I am worried:P.
I have wine installed and working.

P.S. i just realized (thanks to google) that I have the 'newfolder.exe' virus on my flash drive, possibly from my college computer, and I have been using the usb. Could this virus affect my system?

the8thstar
March 1st, 2013, 10:16 PM
IMO and instead of trying an antivirus through Wine, I'd rather just wipe your home folder clean of the .wine folder and reinstall the wine program.

From a terminal, type :

rm -f .wine
sudo apt-get autoremove wine
sudo apt-get install wine

As far as your USB key is concerned, you should format it, plain and simple !

Bucky Ball
March 2nd, 2013, 12:08 AM
You're using Word through Wine?