PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Lubuntu install - laptop shuts down

eboats
February 27th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Hello, I've tried to install Lubuntu 10.4 (also tried 12.10) as a dual windows boot on an old Dell Inspiron B130 laptop with a 1.73 Gh processor, 2 GB of RAM, 37 gig hard drive, running XP Professional. I tried using both Live USB and CD but in both cases the laptop just shuts off during installation. Sometimes it shuts down 1/2 way through installation and sometimes at the beginning of installation. I suspect the laptop is 7-10 years old (I picked it up used).

I figured I'd try installing Lubuntu rather than Ubuntu since the laptop is old. Any idea why this may be happening and what can be done?

dino99
February 28th, 2013, 01:52 AM
at first glance, i should ask if it shut down only when you are using the cdrom, or only when you try to install that iso ? (and not with other cd)

it could be a cdrom reader issue (dirty or faulty), or that whole system becoming too hot because it cant get fresh air : open it to clean it as much you can ):P

note: why not posting directly into the Dell subforum ?

IsshoNi
February 28th, 2013, 01:56 AM
Yes, as said above the laptop is probably overheating during installation. Is the fan running at all during installation? If it's silent then it probably is not running during installation.

I'm not sure if the fan will work after installation finishes or not, but you could try clearing a shelf in a refrigerator and setting your laptop on it while Lubuntu installs if overheating is the issue. Haha, someone I know has done that before and it worked.

eboats
February 28th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Hello, I've tried to install Lubuntu 10.4 (also tried 12.10) as a dual windows boot on an old Dell Inspiron B130 laptop with a 1.73 Gh processor, 2 GB of RAM, 37 gig hard drive, running XP Professional. I tried putting the downloaded iso file on both a Live USB and a CD and booting from it, but in both cases the laptop just shuts off during installation. Sometimes it shuts down 1/2 way through installation and sometimes at the beginning of installation. I suspect the laptop is 7-10 years old (I picked it up used).

I figured I'd try installing Lubuntu rather than Ubuntu since the laptop is old. Any idea why this may be happening and what can be done?

Rex Bouwense
February 28th, 2013, 09:52 PM
I have a very old Dell Inspiron 1000 (January 2005) and have successfully installed Lubuntu 12.04 on it. All that I did to it was add 256 Mbs of RAM to the existing 256. It runs well. Did you try the CD (or flash drive) on your computer before you tried to install it? Did you check the md5sum before you burned it to the cd? Did you burn the cd at the lowest possible speed? (You are aware of course that Lubuntu 10.04 is no longer supported.)

mörgæs
March 1st, 2013, 11:52 PM
Threads merged.

If you want the thread moved, please ask us to do so in stead of opening a new one.