PDA

View Full Version : Photo-organizer as good as picasa?

chickenPie4breakfast
February 27th, 2013, 09:22 AM
I am using picasa at the moment - running under wine.
I would prefer to use a native app but couldn't find one as good.
I still have Shotwell on my pc but the feature I would miss from picaso is
it's ability to create albums and sync them to the picasa web site.
Basically you can create an account at picasa web site and share the same account details with family and then you can all upload your albums to the shared space.
So is there a linux app that can create albums and would allow me to upload them to the picasa site. Or just an app that is good at organizing your photos -tagging them and making albums - I suppose you would be able to upload any album to picasas site even if it was made by another app.

eric-yorba
February 27th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Shotwell can upload photos to Picasa, Facebook, Flickr, etc. Just select the photos you want and hit Publish.

However it can't do a two-way "sync" of albums. I'm not aware of any Linux photo managers on that can do this.

oldos2er
February 27th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Take a look at digikam, I think it can do what you want. It's in the repositories. http://www.digikam.org/

uc50_ic4more
February 28th, 2013, 12:07 AM
I still have Shotwell on my pc but the feature I would miss from picaso is
it's ability to create albums and sync them to the picasa web site.

I have about 70GB of photos and videos in several hundred "events" in Shotwell and have those events mirrored as "albums" on the Picasa web site (which is reflected on Google+ as well). Syncing that way is quite easy (copy the name of the event, select all of the images and videos in that event, Publish and paste the name), but there is no way to create events or albums in Shotwell using albums at the Picasa web site as a source, sadly.

chickenPie4breakfast
March 1st, 2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks guys for the good advice - I will look more closely at just what shotwell can do and also look at digikam, thanks