PDA

View Full Version : Hi guys how can you follow these small numbers ?

shantiq
February 27th, 2013, 08:49 AM
a bit puzzled

tried to follow these numbers so i can get 0 ++> 9

but keyboard only yields produced with Alt+Gr 123

how can i get 0456789 in the same way

tried fonts in Libre Office
and so far see none tried google and no answer

i am sure one of you clever guys here know the answer

thanx in advance shan

vasa1
February 27th, 2013, 10:59 AM
I'm not sure what you're working with, but if it's html, you can make whatever you want appear as superscript using < sup > and < /sup > tags (without spaces).

Another thing I use is ReText from the repos for markdown:

Paqman
February 27th, 2013, 11:15 AM
tried fonts in Libre Office
and so far see none tried google and no answer

Try Right click > Style > Superscript. You can also add it to a button on the toolbar if you're going to be using it a a lot.

schragge
February 27th, 2013, 02:59 PM
It depends on what program you're entering these characters in. For libreoffice, Paqman already gave the answer. When entering superscripts using AltGr you're actually inserting special Unicode characters. There are Unicode characters for all superscript digits, but not all fonts support them beyond 3, e.g. DejaVu Sans ExtraLight only has glyphs for 01234. To see if they are supported by your console font, try

eval echo \$\'\\u207{4..9}\'

However, when using techniques described by vasa1 and Paqman, normal digits get rendered as small superscripts, so these will work with any font, but only when rendered by specific software (HTML browser, LibreOffice).

dargaud
February 27th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Another way is to get yourself a 'Compose key'. I use the useless Caps Lock key as a compose key: in KDE, [System Settings][Keyboard][Advanced][Compose key position] and select [Caps lock].
Then press that key to 'compose' two keys into the closest thing. For instance [`] and [e] will give []. In your case it's [0~9] and [^] which gives ⁰⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹...

shantiq
February 27th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Thanx for prompt replies guys this is what i love most about our Ubuntu community... :KS

● the htlm trick is good but only for html cannot be copied and pasted in text or anywhere if so it reverts to normal numbers so thanx for the tip with <sup> will use when i need to write html pages but i really want a key on my keyboard to do these

● the trick with Set Composition Key (http://www.ohbuntu.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/quickly-type-special-characters-ubuntu.html)i am on Gnome so:

Go to System > Preferences > Keyboard
Select Layout tab
Click on Layout Option
Click Compose Key position
Tick any key you want to assign as Compose Key ( in my case : Right Alt key - image )
Assign Compose Key

How to use?

Press 2 combination key after Compose Key
example : ( Copyright sign )
Press & release Compose Key ( in my case : Right Alt key )
Press o key
Then press c key
[ compose key + o + c = ]
Special character should appear

works a treat for accents and copyright ⅔ ⅘ but for a superscript 5 it does not as ^ is already a combination key [shift+6] on my UK keyboard so unless i misundertood the explanation it leaves you with nothing unfortunately : 5 then [shift+6] does not produce anything

● shragge thanx this works

eval echo \$\'\\u207{4..9}\'

123 done with Alt+ Gr last six numbers normal to show scale

⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹ 012345 ⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹ 012345

that is pretty good any way to add 0 to this?

Any more ideas anyone?

schragge
February 27th, 2013, 06:39 PM
but not quite the same in size if you see 123 done with Alt+ Gr last six normal to show scale
Well, this probably means that the font your terminal uses only has superscript digits 1 to 4, the rest get completed from another, fallback font. Also, see here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_input#In_X11_.28Linux_and_other_Unix_varia nts.29) for other input methods.

schragge
February 27th, 2013, 06:41 PM
any way to add 0 to this?

echo $'\u2070'

shantiq
February 27th, 2013, 06:56 PM
--thanx again--

this thread easy to find again by entering in search...

t3chn0k
May 28th, 2013, 01:51 PM
You can type SHIFT + ^​ then write any number from 0 to 9, it will write ⁰⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹.

shantiq
May 28th, 2013, 05:15 PM
well t3chn0k (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1816011)

does not seem to work here on my keyboard SHIFT + ^​ produces ^

^ is on top of 6 on my keyboard [UK keyboard]

lykwydchykyn
May 28th, 2013, 07:21 PM
well t3chn0k (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1816011)

does not seem to work here on my keyboard SHIFT + ^​ produces ^

^ is on top of 6 on my keyboard [UK keyboard]

You need to hit the compose key first, then you enter the ^ and the number. But just like alt-gr, it's just another method of entering a unicode character, which may or may not be supported in the font you're using. A superscript style is probably a safer bet in LibreOffice documents.

Libervurto
July 18th, 2013, 02:48 PM
When typing superscript numbers with the compose key you must type the caret (^) first: ⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹⁰
Typing the number first produces: ⁴⁵⁶^^

x = x degrees = x → <COMPOSE> → 0 → ^
x⁰ = x^0 = x → <COMPOSE> → ^ → 0