PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04, 12.10 x64 Server install problems - swap or RAID-related?

jeffmefun
February 27th, 2013, 03:46 AM
I'm having problems installing Ubuntu Server similar to those I've seen others encounter, but I've yet to find a clear answer on how to solve from any of their threads. :confused:

I've tried installing amd64 12.04 Server and amd64 12.10 Server on a Supermicro SuperServer 6015B-NT and had zero luck. Install media = usb stick. This is a dual proc Xeon E5420 2.5GHz machine w/28GB of RAM and an Adaptec 5405 RAID controller, with 4 x 3TB Toshiba 7200 rpm SATA drives configured for RAID 10 (~6TB array).

Problem:

- Boot fails, usually somewhere after a statement like this:

[t1] EXT4-fs (dm-0): INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem
[t2] EXT4-fs (dm-0): write access will be enabled during recovery
[t3] EXT4-fs (dm-0): recovery complete
[t4] EXT4-fs (dm-0): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opt: (null)
Begin: Running /scripts/local-bottom ... done.
done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... done.
[t5] Adding 29356028k swap on /dev/mapper/host-swap_1. Priority:-1 extents:1 across:29356028k
[t6] EXT4-fs (dm-0): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro

and then... haaaaang (ctrl-alt-del doesn't work)

- Recovery mode also fails to boot, usually after what appears to be an ATI Radeon driver issue or an ACPI error:

[t1] ACPI Warning: 0x00000000fed1f410-0x00000000fed1f414 SystemMemory conflicts with Region \RCRB 1 (20120320/utaddress-251)
[t2] ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead of the native driver
[t3] lpc_ich: Resource conflict(s) found affecting iTCO_wdt
[t4] EDAC MC: Ver: 2.1.0
[t5] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
[t6] gpio_ich: ACPI BAR is busy, GPI 0 - 15 unavailable
[t7] gpio_ich: GPIO from 206 to 255 on gpio_ich
[t8] dca service started, version 1.12.1

and then.... haaaaaang (ctrl-alt-del doesn't work)

Radeon break looks a little more like this:

[t3] lpc_ich: Resource conflict(s) found affecting iTCO_wdt
[t4] spchp: Standard Hot Plug PCI Controller Driver version: 0.4
[t5] gpio_ich: ACPI BAR is busy, GPI 0 - 15 unavailable
[t6] gpio_ich: GPIO from 206 to 255 on gpio_ich
[t7] ioatdma: Intel(R) QuickData Technology Driver 4.00
[t8] EDAC MC: Ver: 2.1.0
[t9] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
[t10] [drm] VGACON disable radeon kernel modesetting
[t11] [drm] Support vblank timestamp caching Rev 1 (10.10.2010).
[t12] [drm] No driver support for vblank timestamp query.
[t13] [drm] Intialized radeon 1.33.0 20080528 for 0000:09:01.0 on minor 0

and then.... haaaaaang (ctrl-alt-del doesn't work)

- Rescue Mode provides a little bit of detail:
I've typically elected to Execute a shell in /dev/host/root:

# cat /etc/fstab

# /etc/fstab: static file system information
# warning to use 'blkid'
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
/dev/mapper/host-root / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /boot was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=158...-...ebe /boot ext2 defaults 0 2
/dev/mapper/host-swap_1 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

# blkid
/dev/sda2: UUID="158...-...ebe" TYPE="ext2"
/dev/sda3: UUID="fhh...-...f01" TYPE="LVM2_member:
/dev/mapper/host-root: UUID="bd5...-...839" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/mapper/host-swap_1: UUID="a89...-...93d" TYPE="swap"

# fdisk -l /dev/sda

WARNING: GPT detected on '/dev/sda/'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use gnu parted.

Disk /dev/sda: lots of info...
Units = secotrs of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 lots lots ee GPT

# parted /dev/sda print
Model: Adaptec hostraid (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 5991GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 2097kB 1049kB bios_grub
2 2097kB 258MB 256MB ext2
3 258MB 5991GB 5991GB lvm

# cat /var/log/boot
(Nothing has been logged yet.)

# cat /var/log/dmesg
(Nothing has been logged yet.)

# cat /var/log/bootstrap.log

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
#

Any help or suggestions are MOST appreciated! Thanks! :)

jeffmefun
February 27th, 2013, 03:49 AM
Also... I've tried installing some things to see if they would help fix the problem, but I have no DNS support, so I'm having a hard time hitting any repositories, etc. ping 4.2.2.2 works, but ping www.google.com does not (unknown host).

Thanks!

CharlesA
February 27th, 2013, 03:49 AM
Have you installed on this hardware before? If not, you could try popping in a single drive that isn't in the array and seeing it the install takes.

MAFoElffen
February 27th, 2013, 04:17 AM
I think first we should first ask what this is on hardware wise...

- Branded PC? If so, what make/model?
- CPU?
- Is this a real serverboard or desktop mobo? Noticed the radion message / standard server graphics.
- What kind of drives and how many? (PATA/SATA/SCSI)
- Is the drive controller onboard or on the bus?
- What is your logical layout? Meaning is root on RAID with all installed under root or do you have things split out?
- What RAID type? Is the software RAID consisting of drives or mulitple smaller than drive partitions on drives?

I think the info from those questions might give a picture of what may be going on... Especially with the ACPI errors.

Next would be if this box can boot any version of any branch of Ubuntu's LiveCD's. Such as 10.04LTS, before KMS was implemented. That would help with trying to query the hardware and in diagnostics.

Even though it had md0 errors, I suspect from the other errors that it's having problems with hardware modules and drivers.

EDIT-- If it can't boot a LiveCD, no worries. There's still another way from the server install disk you used.

jeffmefun
February 27th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Have you installed on this hardware before? If not, you could try popping in a single drive that isn't in the array and seeing it the install takes.

Hi Charles - yes, I actually had an install working (should have mentioned that) and managed to run some phoronix benchmarks, but after one reboot, it mysteriously stopped working.

Good idea about the array. I'll give that a shot with a drive out of the RAID controller.

jeffmefun
February 27th, 2013, 08:36 AM
I think first we should first ask what this is on hardware wise...

- Branded PC? If so, what make/model?
- CPU?
- Is this a real serverboard or desktop mobo? Noticed the radion message / standard server graphics.
- What kind of drives and how many? (PATA/SATA/SCSI)
- Is the drive controller onboard or on the bus?
- What is your logical layout? Meaning is root on RAID with all installed under root or do you have things split out?
- What RAID type? Is the software RAID consisting of drives or mulitple smaller than drive partitions on drives?

I think the info from those questions might give a picture of what may be going on... Especially with the ACPI errors.

Next would be if this box can boot any version of any branch of Ubuntu's LiveCD's. Such as 10.04LTS, before KMS was implemented. That would help with trying to query the hardware and in diagnostics.

Even though it had md0 errors, I suspect from the other errors that it's having problems with hardware modules and drivers.

EDIT-- If it can't boot a LiveCD, no worries. There's still another way from the server install disk you used.

Hi Mafo - thanks for the questions. I believe most of them are answered in the original post. I'm not sure it had any md0 errors, as there is no md device.

I can boot from a LiveCD, or at least, I can boot from the server install usb key.

Good suggestions about the 10.04LTS - I'll check that one out.

Thanks! Jeff

CharlesA
February 27th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Try booting into an older kernel if you had a kernel update recently.

jeffmefun
February 27th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Hi CharlesA - I wish I did! This is for a fresh install (I know... old machine, new OS!). Thanks! Jeff

darkod
February 27th, 2013, 05:42 PM
It's probably too late now, but is there any reason you decided to get a HW raid card?

Many people, me included, would prefer ubuntu server running mdadm SW raid, but for that the disks have to be passed straight through, without any raid on the card. For that to work you need a simple HBA instead of raid card, something like the IBM M1015 flashed to IT mode. In that mode the card only passes the disks through and provides connections to all disks when there are no sufficient ports on the motherboard.
The Ubuntu OS is handling the SW raid with mdadm.

This is more flexible solution since it allows you array reshapes, and more important, is not HW dependent. If your HW raid controller dies, you need the same model to get your array going without data loss, and it's a question if it will work even then.

With mdadm raid you can connect the disks on any linux machine and the data is easily accessible.

MAFoElffen
February 27th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Gosh. ::embarassed:: That was right before I went to sleep last night. Too many hours, not enough time. LOL. I guess I should have read that first line instead of focusing on the errors...

Non-intrusive- On any server install disk, on any server install... After the time server dialog... between that dialog and the partitoner, it does hardware probes. At the time of the partioner, it gives you the choice to go back, which will go to the install template menu, which the last option exists the install. If you exit at that time, there would be not changes to what is installed.

The server install diplays in tty1, whereas the sys messages display in tty4. After the time server dialog, switch over to tty4 and follow the sys messages... Look for the messages about when it hits that RAID controller and what driver it defaults to... Or fails to find and falls back to. Then when it hits the drives.

Before doing that, you might want to look at this:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man4/aac.4freebsd.html

From a LiveCD, you might want to chroot the installed sys and check if that module is there...

On HW RAID... I use both hw and md... depending what is there. That Adaptec card is usually auto-detected with no problem.

CharlesA
February 27th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Hi CharlesA - I wish I did! This is for a fresh install (I know... old machine, new OS!). Thanks! Jeff

Interesting. Do you know if the same thing occurs if you try to install Ubuntu Desktop? It should use the same packages (including the kernel).

On HW RAID... I use both hw and md... depending what is there. That Adaptec card is usually auto-detected with no problem.

I have been sticking to a (cheap) HW raid card in my server. The installer doesn't detect it - I need to install to a separate drive and compile the kernel modules for it, but that works fine for me because I don't have my OS on the RAID array.

MAFoElffen
February 27th, 2013, 06:53 PM
The reason I mentioned 10.04LTS is that Adaptec's own utilities for the Adaptec 5405 go up thru 11.04:
http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support/raid/sas_raid/sas-5405/

And the then this one through 10.04LTS:
http://hwraid.le-vert.net/wiki/DebianPackages

jeffmefun
February 27th, 2013, 07:58 PM
MAFo - thanks for the many tips - and no worries at all about the missed info - we've all been there!!

So, I went the installer/partition setup/go back/enter shell/busybox/alt-right arrow to tty4 route and I know see this:

[t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): mount: mounting /dev/sda3 on /tmp/tmp.fzYwhq fialed: Device or resource busy
[t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): umount: can't forcibly umount /tmp/tmp.fzYwhq: Invalid argument
[t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): NTFS signature is missing
[t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): Failed to mount '/dev/mapper/host-root'
[t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): : Invalid argument
[t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): The device '/dev/mapper/host-root' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS
[t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): Maybe the wrong device is used? Or the whole idsk instead of a
[t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): partition (e.g. /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1)? Or the other way around?
[t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): mount: mounting /dev/mapper/hosmtiles-root on /tmp/tmp.hpFtAD failed: Invalid argument
[t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): NTFS signature is missing
[t1] main-menu[384]: (process:14273): Failed to mount 'dev/sda3'

I have absolutely no idea why the NTFS stuff is showing up. I've completely rebuilt the RAID and have not even mentioned Microsoft in the same room as this machine...

I'd have scrolled further up, but none of the normal scrolling methods seem to be working for me (shift-page up, ctrl-page up, etc.).

DarkoD - I went with the RAID card b/c it came with the machine. I bought the server used and it was there, so I figured, hey, why not? What could go wrong? ;)

Charles - Off to try the 10.04 option and the desktop, too...

Thanks again to everyone for all the help,
Jeff

CharlesA
February 27th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Charles - Off to try the 10.04 option and the desktop, too...

Try the server edition first. I forgot 10.04 had a -server and -generic kernel that 12.04 merged back together.

That output sure is odd, but maybe 10.04 will play nice with everything.

jeffmefun
February 27th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Ugh.... 10.04 install was hanging on setting up the ext4 LVM.

I'm going to thoroughly retest the drives and possibly return this machine. Either way, I'm out of commission for many hours on this project.

In the mean time, thanks again to everyone. I'll return later to report back in...