PDA

View Full Version : Why MSN Messenger?

mehaga
July 9th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Title pretty much says it all...

I see a post every now and than, saying someone needs better file transfer support with MSN messenger accounts in Gaim, or better looking aMSN or.. whatever related to MSN Messenger. Now, I can't figure out why people, linux and Ubuntu users in particular, are using MSNM instead of, say, Yahoo! messenger?! OR ICQ, or... whatever. I can't stop using it because everybody else does :S
Yahoo messenger has a linux version, albeit a crippled one. Why not use that? Or, do like M$ does and install it by default and integrate with everything, so everybody switches to it, even if they don't want to :D
Just kidding about that last part but, seriously, why MSNM??

P.S. LoL, spellchecker for Ubuntuforums underlines 'Ubuntu' and 'Linux' as misspelled :D

frenkel
July 9th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Title pretty much says it all...

I see a post every now and than, saying someone needs better file transfer support with MSN messenger accounts in Gaim, or better looking aMSN or.. whatever related to MSN Messenger. Now, I can't figure out why people, linux and Ubuntu users in particular, are using MSNM instead of, say, Yahoo! messenger?! OR ICQ, or... whatever. I can't stop using it because everybody else does :S
Yahoo messenger has a linux version, albeit a crippled one. Why not use that? Or, do like M$ does and install it by default and integrate with everything, so everybody switches to it, even if they don't want to :D
Just kidding about that last part but, seriously, why MSNM??

P.S. LoL, spellchecker for Ubuntuforums underlines 'Ubuntu' and 'Linux' as misspelled :D

I use MSN because all my friends use it. I have an ICQ account, but no friends to talk on it :p

Rackerz
July 9th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Yep MSN is the most popular protocol, my friends use it so I do.

Derek Djons
July 9th, 2006, 02:52 PM
I used to use ICQ years ago for years :) But since Microsoft kept developing itself it saw chances to make it's own messenger. So Microsoft Messenger was born. Since a lot of Windows users don't understand the basics or anything at all a lot of Windows users started using it as their default messenger.

Since MSN Messenger was available in the langauge of the country (together with the OS) it became an easier choice for Europeans especially.

Out of Windows messenger came MSN Messenger with more capabilities and crap.

On my notebook, on which Ubuntu Linux is installed I happily use Gaim, though it has some annoying bugs. On the Mac I use Adium. But yes, though I use different clients, I also use the MSN protocol and network for the simple reason: "All my friends, co-workers and old class-mates use it."

NESFreak
July 9th, 2006, 02:59 PM
i think its popularity. but well if you use msnm7.5 + mesenger plus - the advertisement (i love reshack xD) = cool lookin' transparent app with random insults ('/insult')

John T. Monkey
July 9th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I would say the same thing. I am on MSN and AIM, I currently have 30 contacts in MSN and 4 in AIM, and 3 of those are on MSN anyway. I used to use ICQ a long time ago but stopped bothering. Can't remember when or why.
MSN is very straight forward to use and it has lots of nice features. I know others do aswell, but I just prefer the ones in MSN.

I also like hotmail, I use it for non work related/non personal email and to sign up to things with. (It's also the address I give to friends who I know will send me chain mails :) ) Same username and password which again is just convenient. :)

Virogenesis
July 9th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Well MSN is extremely popular and does seem to have better video functions than yahoo.
I use yahoo, aim, msn, gchat and jabber (for when i do file transfers).
I found ICQ to be a pain in the *** so be truthful within minutes of signing up I had ads\spam...if you get me.

Aim's file tranfers in gaim works fine and I ain't too sure about yahoo but I do know msn is slow due to having to go through their server.

someusernoob
July 9th, 2006, 03:30 PM
I used to use MSN too because everyone else uses it. I'm trying to dump it, allready made an ICQ and AIM account, but they are almost empty lol. Most people i know are using Windows + MSN, and do not want (or do not even know how) to install a multi-protocol client, or just another client. So i'm stuck there, with this MSN crap. Also i do not care about filetransfers, avatars, webcams and voip. That makes the step to change a little easier too. For filetransfering etc. i rather use email.

Kimm
July 9th, 2006, 03:33 PM
I use it for the same reasons the others here use it: All my friends use it.

If I could choose I'd use Jabber (I know about transports but they dont quite cut it).

zenwhen
July 9th, 2006, 03:35 PM
All of my friend use AIM, so I mainly use AIM. I have MSN, Yahoo, Jabber, and Aim set up in Gaim.