PDA

View Full Version : How does the general user give back to the linux cause?

frup
July 9th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Seriously, Linux has been free all this time because people give back, share and share alike, how does linux/ubuntu stay free as the mainstream picks it up. i was some what of a windows power user, after 7 months of using soley linux i feel some what confident in my abilities but dont understand how i can help the cause, i will try, but how does something as awesome as this stay free? People have to give their time up to make linux better and time is precious, What can the mainstream do to help? Apart from programming how can you help? I will try to learn to program just for the linux cause but i can't guaruntee i will ever be good enough.. is trying to encourage my friends to use linux enough?
(i already have about 3 ubuntu converts plus my brother and four more willing to try...)

Rackerz
July 9th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I say just using and telling people about Linux/Ubuntu is enough. As long as their is people like us willing to try Linux and end up using it as a main OS then we are giving something back because we are using what they have developed.

frup
July 9th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Yes, well i figure the hardcore are always going to develop no matter what, and once they make one, copying it is nothing, and using it gives more influence, but i just feel i am abusing linux by not being able to fix problems or not submit code

hellmet
July 9th, 2006, 12:49 PM
it must be giving developers immense happiness at the thought that
their hard work is being appreciated by so many people..
yes thats the only thing non developers like I can do!!

Rackerz
July 9th, 2006, 12:52 PM
it must be giving developers immense happiness at the thought that
their hard work is being appreciated by so many people..
yes thats the only thing non developers like I can do!!

Agreed, as long as they know we are using what they have created they will be inspired to improve it and make it better :D.

editrix
July 9th, 2006, 02:23 PM
What can the mainstream do to help? Apart from programming how can you help?

Money always helps :-) There are sites that contribute a lot to Linux generally that ask for financial support--including, I believe, this forum.

Another thing you can do is, every time you find a website that doesn't support Linux, or a company that manufactures a peripheral that has no Linux driver, write and complain!

ShiningHolden
July 9th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Seriously, Linux has been free all this time because people give back, share and share alike, how does linux/ubuntu stay free as the mainstream picks it up. i was some what of a windows power user, after 7 months of using soley linux i feel some what confident in my abilities but dont understand how i can help the cause, i will try, but how does something as awesome as this stay free? People have to give their time up to make linux better and time is precious, What can the mainstream do to help? Apart from programming how can you help? I will try to learn to program just for the linux cause but i can't guaruntee i will ever be good enough.. is trying to encourage my friends to use linux enough?
(i already have about 3 ubuntu converts plus my brother and four more willing to try...)

Good question.

How does Ubuntu get the funding to manage the connection they have, the servers they have to be able to withstand links coming in from every distrobution thing, everywhere... All the repos we have, upgrading from them...

The developers themselves must not wake up to a wife and kids and say "Hunny, I am going to devote my life out to help the Linux cause, and provide everyone with a very common distrobution for zero dollars and zero cents, see you at dinner?"

Don't get me wrong.

I read "Don't ask what can Linux do for you, but what you can do for Linux."

I am not saying "OMG CHARGE US PAY THEM"...

No. I am just wondering, where it comes from?

Honestly, I dont care if someone sold a big fat diamond and got it all done, but all I know is, I am so going to help the community.

If it is a script to install a rock solid Ubuntu build from fresh, or a HOWTO on how to get uber haxs, Linux did it for me, I'll do it for linux.

But on your topic:
I know you can submit anything you find wrong with the kernel and if it is, valid, see it in a new kernel version.

I honestly, have the same question.

If we don't donate, how can we give back to "The Linux Cause."

Thund3rstruck
July 9th, 2006, 02:52 PM
I'd like to help the cause by developing but I'm not sure where to begin. On the MS side C#/VB.NET are the mainstay and its easy to jump right in (both languages are really simple). However on the linux side it seems to be all over the place.. do I go with a scripting language such as PERL, Python, or PHP? Do I go with a compiled object oriented language such as C? Once the decision is made, how about an IDE, debugger, etc? Then I'm hearing I can port my professional C# skills with mono, but then how mainstream is mono on Linux? Finally... where can you go to find out whats needed and how to submit your solutions and possibly get them placed on the repositories?

John.Michael.Kane
July 9th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Thund3rstruck that would denpend on the project your intending to help.most of seem to lean toward Python.now your wrting your own program that whole diffrent bag then.

beameup
July 9th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Here's one to support an ad campaign for OpenOffice, like Firefox did awhile back. Almost every Linux distro comes with OOo installed.

https://www.fundable.org/groupactions/openofficeads

"Following the trail blazed by Firefox last year, we plan to post an advertisement for OpenOffice.org in the free daily newspaper "Metro" in New York City. We qualify for non-profit prices and can therefore get a lot of bang for the buck. Each weekday, 330,000 free copies of Metro are distributed to commuters in the five boroughs. Roughly 450,000 people read it, and they represent a young, affluent and savvy demographic.

The ad or ads will run in early July. We'll try for two full, back page ads, and if we have extra money, it will go to additional ads or be donated to OpenOffice development."

matthew
July 9th, 2006, 03:12 PM
People have to give their time up to make linux better and time is precious, What can the mainstream do to help? Apart from programming how can you help?Ooh! I have a great idea! Hang out in these forums and answer questions about stuff you already know the answer to. You will continue to learn at the same time and you will be giving back as well.

(Okay, that may come off as a bit self-serving coming from a staff member...but I wasn't always on staff and this is how I started out.)

NOTE: this thread really belongs in the Cafe so I'm moving it there.

John.Michael.Kane
July 9th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Ooh! I have a great idea! Hang out in these forums and answer questions about stuff you already know the answer to. You will continue to learn at the same time and you will be giving back as well.

(Okay, that may come off as a bit self-serving coming from a staff member...but I wasn't always on staff and this is how I started out.)

This sounds like a good way to give back!!!!

Adamant1988
July 9th, 2006, 03:37 PM
simple, share and share alike. Ubuntu is free and will always remain so, but that doesnt' mean you shouldn't advertise, help burn some CDs and give them out to people, do what you can.

tribaal
July 9th, 2006, 03:44 PM
I'm amazed no one mentionned bug reporting.

Like... debugging an application is easily 90% of the work, so posting *good* bug reports help ou the cause a lot

- trib'

NESFreak
July 9th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I sometimes help translating some apps. If my programming skils where a bit better i'd help them programming aswel.

blastus
July 9th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Another way is to take every opportunity you get to tell others about open standards/formats and how closed standards/formats can lock them into using a specific program. If we can get people to use cross-platform programs that adhere to open standards/formats and avoid programs that use closed standards/formats, we can help remove the applications barrier to entry to using Linux.

Apart from hardware support, open standards and open formats are ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL to the Linux cause.

aysiu
July 9th, 2006, 04:13 PM
To sum up:

1. Donate money
2. Contribute code
3. File bug reports
4. Write documentation
5. Help new users
6. Spread the word

kabus
July 9th, 2006, 04:17 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate