PDA

View Full Version : The real lifespan of 32bit linux???

blinksilver
March 21st, 2005, 03:55 AM
i was wondering about this, and by lifespan i mean, that you will still be running the newest stuff with the only limiting factor being the speed of your hardware

TravisNewman
March 21st, 2005, 04:11 AM
not a simple date, but: as long as there's still a demand for it.

There are a lot of production servers that will still be running 32bit for a long time. So server applications will be updated for 32bit for a long time

blinksilver
March 21st, 2005, 04:57 AM
true,but most ubuntu users are of the desktop type, and that is where the question stems, even linus was say that 64bit is the future

TravisNewman
March 21st, 2005, 05:17 AM
It sure is. But people still port apps to obscure and obsolete platforms, so I'd say that even when 64bit becomes mainstream, 32bit will still be going pretty strong. It'll take a while for it to totally die out.

poofyhairguy
March 21st, 2005, 08:06 AM
true,but most ubuntu users are of the desktop type, and that is where the question stems, even linus was say that 64bit is the future

Exactly, The future. As in 60% of working systems will be 64 bit by 2010 or so. HDTV will probably be at 45% then......

32 bit will be around for a LONG time. There hasn't be awesome new computer developments (in software) recently that require 32 over 64 for most home users.