PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04, installation failed, white screen

ex1Windows1user
February 25th, 2013, 09:58 AM
I have a new computer and tried to install Ubuntu 12.04 (64bit) but the installation failed. My configuration is:
Processor: Intel i5-3470 3.20GHz;
Main board: Asrock Z75 Pro3;
RAM: 4GB DDR3;
Hard disk: 500GB;
Video card: MSI GF N610-1GD3H/LP, nVidia chip with 1024MB

When I start the computer, I see the logo for the main board (some Asrock advertisement), enter the BIOS and configure the system such that it boots from the CD/DVD ROM. Then I plug my Ubuntu liveCD (have used it successfully before on my laptop) and restart. The system boots from the CD, the usual purple screen with the small man and the keyboard appears and then a white screen and it stays like that. I tried it many times but I always got the same result. Once I pressed enter on the purple screen, that opened a menu with available languages, where I chose English and continued. Then I got different options, among which to install ubuntu and to try it. I chose 'try'. This gave me again a purple screen with ubuntu and several white dots on it and then the white screen again. On the white screen there is a big darker square that I can move with the mouse. I have no idea what to do. I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 on several computers so far, but have never encountered such a problem. My guess would be that there is something wrong between Ubuntu and the graphic card. I thought that ubuntu had no problems with nVidia graphic cards.
I hope that someone can give me some advise. I have no idea what to do.