PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best way to upgrade from Hardy?

Papa-san
February 25th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Yeah... sometimes I resist change...Except for Hardy, every install has been "head-achy". (Using a Dell Latitude D-610.)

presence1960
February 25th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Yeah... sometimes I resist change...Except for Hardy, every install has been "head-achy". (Using a Dell Latitude D-610.)

Clean install is the way to go. You have a bunch of upgrades to install if you use the inplace upgrade procedure. You can not go directly from hardy to a current release.

Make sure you have a working back up of anything you don't want to lose...BTW you should have those already anyway!

Food for thought: you didn't mention your specs. If the machine is old you may want to go with a lighter version of Ubuntu such as Lubuntu or possibly Xubuntu. Unity may be a little much for older spec machines.

P.S. I just looked that machine up. If you haven't upgraded you definitely want a lighter version of ubuntu. Stock it came with 512 MB RAM.

carl4926
February 25th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Clean install is the way to go. You have a bunch of upgrades to install if you use the inplace upgrade procedure. You can not go directly from hardy to a current release.

Make sure you have a working back up of anything you don't want to lose...BTW you should have those already anyway!

+1
Oh yes +1

Papa-san
February 25th, 2013, 03:11 PM
OOps... Sorry!
Yes, I have upgraded it a bit: (Don't remember the code for a list o my hardware.) But am running a 1 gig processor and 2 gigs of RAM. I know that's kinda old, but it's what I have!

I also have a thumb-drive that I back up my important stuff to every month.
I'll get a fresh backup and will do a clean install...