PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install from within Ubuntu?

Xalies
February 24th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Hi,

Can I install Ubuntu 12.4LTS from within Ubuntu 12.10? I have a netbook thats has no rom and refuses to boot from USB even though it is set in bios.
I first installed Ubuntu from the windows partition but since I got rid of windows as I was installing Ubuntu the first time this is no longer an option :(

it might be worth saying that I am pretty much a Ubuntu first timer.

Thanks,

jnesset
February 24th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Hi,

Can I install Ubuntu 12.4LTS from within Ubuntu 12.10? I have a netbook thats has no rom and refuses to boot from USB even though it is set in bios.
I first installed Ubuntu from the windows partition but since I got rid of windows as I was installing Ubuntu the first time this is no longer an option :(

it might be worth saying that I am pretty much a Ubuntu first timer.

Thanks,

Hi,

I took a look around in google, but it seems that a fresh install is the best (and most easiest) option. If it refuses to boot from the USB it might be because you have "fast BIOS mode" enabled. Check in the bios if you have something like that and disable it.

Xalies
February 24th, 2013, 02:34 PM
No, nothing like that damn lenovo.... oh well plan B ... set windows up on another pc then switch drive back

Thanks anyway

grahammechanical
February 24th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Please explain more fully your set up and what you want to do as this is confusing.

Can I install Ubuntu 12.4LTS from within Ubuntu 12.10?

What do you mean?

Do you have 12.10 installed on the Netbook?

Or do you have it installed on another machine and want to use 12.10 on that machine to install 12.04 on the Netbook?

Or, do you have 12.10 installed on the Netbook but want to replace it with 12.04?

What do you want to do?

joelgsf
February 25th, 2013, 02:04 AM
I believe that your problem is that you do not have a CD drive on your netbook. Try then any of the alternatives presented here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/93083/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-a-netbook-without-cd