PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install Ubuntu 12.04 on a Macbook

geovino
February 24th, 2013, 01:34 AM
Is there a iso version of Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10 that will install on a Mac?

Sef
February 24th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Is this an Intel based Mac?

geovino
February 24th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Is this an Intel based Mac?

Yes.

buzzingrobot
February 25th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Yes. Look for a filename with "+mac+ in it. There's one here (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/12.04/release/).

Bear in mind that it won't do an EFI install, using BIOS compatibility mode instead. If you have a MacBook with two video cards, one an onboard Intel and the other a discrete Nvidia or AMD card, your install will only see one of them. You need to install in EFI mode to see both cards.

I spent most of this weekend trying to setup 12.04.02 on a MacBook Pro 8,2. I installed in EFI mode and BIOS compatibility mode, with no problems. In EFI mode, the system saw both video cards, but I was unable to switch from the AMD to the Intel. In either mode the machine ran too hot and the fans were always maxed out. In the end, I went back to OS X.

Hardware varies across the MacBook range, so your experience might easily be different.

(Fedora 18 does install in EFI mode on its own.)

geovino
February 25th, 2013, 02:02 AM
So if this is a 3 yr old mac book which has an Intel chip I can use the regular Ubuntu live CD whether 12.10 or 12.04?

Maybe I was thinking of when there was PPC chips that had their own Ubuntu version a few years ago. You don't see those too much anymore.

buzzingrobot
February 25th, 2013, 03:01 AM
So if this is a 3 yr old mac book which has an Intel chip I can use the regular Ubuntu live CD whether 12.10 or 12.04?

Yep.