PDA

View Full Version : How to uninstall all previous Java versions and install the latest (noob warning)

francesca_k
February 23rd, 2013, 07:48 PM
Hi all! I am taking a Coursera online class and in order to take the quizzes online I need Java installed (I use Chrome web browser).
When I click on the quiz it opens but it gives me this message ''You need Java version 1.7.0_07 or greater before you can answer this question''

So i downloaded the latest java version for ubuntu but nothing in the file is executable .. I want to uninstall all my previous java versions before i install the latest as well.. Can anyone help?
I would be grateful :D

QIII
February 23rd, 2013, 07:58 PM
See the Java Community Wiki link in my signature.

I recommend the method you will find under "Oracle Java 7", "Command Line Methods", "Using webupd8.org's strikingly simple method"

You don't need to worry about uninstalling previous versions if you don't want to. That method will set Oracle Java 7 (latest update) as your alternative and will keep your Oracle Java updated as Oracle releases new updates.

When you are not using the Java browser plugin for class, I would disable it. There are some significant security vulnerabilities.

Best of luck with your course!

francesca_k
February 24th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Thank you QIII the instructions on the link you gave me were very easy to follow and now everything is working as it should :)