PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 2 home directory's

boregard
February 22nd, 2013, 02:51 PM
Hello, I have a quick question. after reinstalling 12.04 I now have a HOME dir and a home dir. under my old username. Can someone please explain why? Thanks so much.

offgridguy
February 22nd, 2013, 03:03 PM
Hello, I have a quick question. after reinstalling 12.04 I now have a HOME dir and a home dir. under my old username. Can someone please explain why? Thanks so much.
Did you have a separate home, with the previous installation?

boregard
February 22nd, 2013, 03:42 PM
No, I just had one. I thought when I reinstalled everything from old install would be deleted. Thanks for reply

grahammechanical
February 22nd, 2013, 05:03 PM
Did you mark the partition to be formatted? Then the re-install would install over the existing installation but not remove old folders. If you had kept the same username you would have found that your previous settings would still be in place.

Then again, you could be confused by the fact that there is always at least two home folders. There is a Home folder in the File System/Computer part of the system file structure and inside that Home folder there is the home folder that has our username on it.

The file manager calls our username folder - Home. But when we look into File System (Computer for 12.10) we see another Home folder.

Regards.

boregard
February 22nd, 2013, 06:22 PM
Did you mark the partition to be formatted? Then the re-install would install over the existing installation but not remove old folders. If you had kept the same username you would have found that your previous settings would still be in place.

Then again, you could be confused by the fact that there is always at least two home folders. There is a Home folder in the File System/Computer part of the system file structure and inside that Home folder there is the home folder that has our username on it.

The file manager calls our username folder - Home. But when we look into File System (Computer for 12.10) we see another Home folder.

Regards. cant remember if I marked it for formatting or not. but i backed up all the files i wanted to keep & put them back on new install. now i have those, plus the old ones on home john old username. wonderin if i can just delete ones named john?