PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Scroll bar colour - some change, some don't

grey1beard
February 21st, 2013, 05:05 PM
In an attempt to make the scroll bars more visible on my Gnome 3.2.1 desktop, running ubuntu 12.04, I installed Ubuntu Tweaks and then Gnome Color Chooser.

I've managed to change the scroll bars (no overlays) to a colour of my choosing, but it only seems to affect software - Firefox, and the programmes in Applications that I've looked at so far - but the scroll bars in Places, like Home folder, etc., seem to be unaffected.

See attached screenshot, scroll bars on right.

Is this how it is, or is there a method in Gnome Color Chooser that I haven't managed to understand ?
( I found a useful set of definitions in Archlinux.org/ Gnome Color Chooser.)

John

grey1beard
February 21st, 2013, 11:00 PM
Extra info.
I'm using Radiance for the gtk theme, and for the windows theme.

I've read a post of someone editing the folder Themes/Ambience/metacity-1 in order to solve a similar, but different, problem of their own, and am wondering if I might find a solution in editing Radiance/metacity-1 ?

John

Frogs Hair
February 22nd, 2013, 02:40 AM
Matacity is the window border and buttons. Look in file system usr/share/themes/radiance/gtk 3/apps/nautilus.

You will have to be root to make changes in the file system if you find what you are looking for.
gksudo nautilus

You can download extra ambiance and radiance themes to experiment with from the link.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/light-themes/0.1.9.1-0ubuntu1.2

grey1beard
February 22nd, 2013, 09:09 AM
Thanks, Frogs Hair. That's just the pointer I need.

Regards
John

grey1beard
March 7th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Well I finally got to giving it a try, and followed your lead to get to the relevant .css stylesheet.
But this...

........... if you find what you are looking for. ............
............is the problem.
Not being familiar with the language, I can't see anything in the way of 'scroll bar' which is the only thing I need to change.
Either changing the colour of the scroll bar background, or the 'scroll button'(?) would be fine, so can you tell me what the correct nomenclature is.

Many thanks,
John

grey1beard
March 7th, 2013, 11:35 PM
There is an additional problem, I now realise.
The design of the scroll bar in some of the software is a lozenge shaped button in a round ended 'track' with a small arrow at each end.
However, some of the installed applications use the 'hidden' rectangular button with a narrow track on the edge of the window, and it is this style that I am trying to change.
I can't see any common factor that links one group and differentiates it from the other.

Frogs Hair
March 8th, 2013, 04:55 PM
The link will help to remove the overlay scroll bars and all applications will then have the old scroll bar style. As for the color, I don't know may way around the Gnome 3 CSS . http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/03/disable-ubuntu-overlay-scrollbars-in-ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin/

Theme Tutorial: https://live.gnome.org/GnomeArt/Tutorials/GtkThemes

grey1beard
March 11th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Thanks for your last post, Frogs Hair.
I've got around to getting rid of the overlays, and have been experimenting with Gnome color chooser, as the attached pic will show.
While I've found the lack of guidance, like a glossary, a bit of a pain, just by altering colors and 'Apply'-ing the results, I'm starting to get some idea of what it can do.
The differences between the results for Applications and Places is still unpredictable, but I've just had a quick overview of your Themes Tutorial link, and I believe the answer lies there.
As most of it goes over my head at present, it will be some time before I learn enough to get the final result, I suspect.

Still, that's the only way to learn, I guess.
Thanks for your help, thus far, and I'll leave this thread unsolved for now, just in case........ :)

John