PDA

View Full Version : Who has a Galaxy Nexus?

BslBryan
February 20th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Or Nexus 4, Nexus 7, or Nexus 10?

If so, are you planning on installing the Touch Developer Preview tomorrow?

I just got a GNex myself, am quite excited to install. Though I wish I'd not slipped up and spent $4 on the Play Store today. :p

willc0de4food
February 21st, 2013, 12:03 AM
I have a Galaxy Nexus, and I'm also quite excited about the preview. Any word on what time (and what time zone that time is in) it'll be up? I need to know if I should go to bed early, or stay up late. lol

julianb
February 21st, 2013, 12:27 AM
I have Ubuntu installed in chroot already, on my nexus 4. I plan to get the Ubuntu touch preview as well, when I have time. Am not that interested in Ubuntu as my main nexus 4 OS for the foreseeable future because android has more of the phone apps I want. But as another option I welcome it!

Romparoo
February 21st, 2013, 12:33 AM
Does anyone know if the CDMA Galaxy Nexus' are supported? Or is it just going to be the GSM verision?

BslBryan
February 21st, 2013, 12:39 AM
Any word on what time (and what time zone that time is in) it'll be up?
Right now it is 6:37 PM in the Eastern Time Zone, so if you're in Michigan, it's 5:37 PM. In London right now it is 11:37 PM. Canonical opens at 8am local time according to their switchboard. So 2am EST, 1am Michigan time. Just maybe they'll release it soon after they've had their coffee.

Does anyone know if the CDMA Galaxy Nexus' are supported?
I certainly hope so. I've just bought the Sprint CDMA version - ToroPlus - just for this.

Nburnes
February 21st, 2013, 12:54 AM
I have all except for the N10 and yes, I am rather excited. Bought a MicroSIM to SIM adapter just for testing on my GNex.

Alas, I wouldn't get your hopes up for CDMA support. It would honestly surprise me if they made CDMA images available.

willc0de4food
February 21st, 2013, 01:01 AM
Right now it is 6:37 PM in the Eastern Time Zone, so if you're in Michigan, it's 5:37 PM. In London right now it is 11:37 PM. Canonical opens at 8am local time according to their switchboard. So 2am EST, 1am Michigan time. Just maybe they'll release it soon after they've had their coffee.

We're actually also on EST in MI :] we're RIGHT on the border.. Chicago is central time. Hmm.. I do have a couple monsters in the fridge >.>

kevdog
February 21st, 2013, 01:03 AM
Wish this would be ported to the Xoom!!

BslBryan
February 21st, 2013, 01:40 AM
I have all except for the N10 and yes, I am rather excited. Bought a MicroSIM to SIM adapter just for testing on my GNex.

Alas, I wouldn't get your hopes up for CDMA support. It would honestly surprise me if they made CDMA images available.

Hopefully if not it won't be too long before it's ported. That seems like something very easy to do as I can already shoehorn GSM Roms for Android onto my CDMA phone. Not sure how different the process would be.

Has anyone heard anything about functionality?

On the tablet, for instance, engadget posted a video at Canonical and while a lot has been implemented successfully - voice commands, side stage, etc - a lot is just filler to show what the UI is supposed to look like. There is no installed music player, for example, so there will be no way to listen to music, and the "people" tab is populated with the development team of Ubuntu Mobile platforms - it won't be synced with your facebook and gmail contacts.

I understand this is temporary, of course, and that the tablet UI was only announced officially yesterday, but I'm hoping the Ubuntu Phone at least has the functionality to listen to music, send sms, and dial out.

EDIT: https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-phone/msg00125.html
The GSM model is the only one being targeted right now. The OS may run
on the other models, but it wouldn't be able to use the phone or 3g/4g
data functionality.

norfair
February 21st, 2013, 02:32 AM
I have the basic Galaxy Nexus myself, and am very curious and excited to see how Ubuntu will merge into the mobile realm.

I did have the Nexus 10 as well, but returned it. However, I'm seriously considering picking one up tomorrow just so I can put Ubuntu on it!

CloakandPigeon
February 21st, 2013, 03:06 AM
Have a transformer prime and my wife has a Nexus 7, she won't let me use it of course. :D (when i got it for her on launch day she was asking what she needed this thing for, now a few months later she can't put it down).

I can only hope there are some ports, the transformer prime is pretty close to specs when compared to the Nexus 7.

beatmech
February 21st, 2013, 02:03 PM
I plan to install ubuntu phone into my GNex, then try to use it as my first phone. but then Jono Bacon answer some of the questions at Google Hangout and don't recommend it to be use as first phone basis, yet. so, just to clear some of the haze on the functions available on the first image. (i still WANT to use it as my first phone.) :biggrin: based on some of the vids that i have seen and yours post, there's ;

1) the welcome screen, with the icons for 'what's new' for tweets, msg, misscall?, etc. (so, connection to network provider is a go, call also should be fine. internet (wifi, 3g) also OK. some doubts of LTE support.

2) the home screen. divided into sections. (vids, pics, apps, peoples, etc)

3) video player. music player seems not yet available.

4) pic gallery.

8) picture editor (gimp maybe?). it has build in voice search for editing functions.

5) telephony (for calls)

6) people/contacts. it cannot link to cloud like google contacts, but it should be OK if I insert it manually one by one right? if it has come kind of import function that would be great to try.

7) basic apps like calculator, clock.

what's else is there? then what should you need for your first phone basis? please correct me if i'm wrong on the list.

Tribes11
February 21st, 2013, 02:10 PM
I do have, and I'm really excited to get it.

krs360
February 21st, 2013, 02:48 PM
I have the nexus... waiting for release

avdija
February 21st, 2013, 03:06 PM
F5 :)

krs360
February 21st, 2013, 03:10 PM
F5 :)

lol, I have the whole day free so it's a good day for testing..

beehiveblack
February 21st, 2013, 03:11 PM
F5 indeed... am I too assume that this will be put up on there home page or is there a dev section that the link will go live on. can someone point me in the right direction?

avdija
February 21st, 2013, 03:14 PM
I believe this is the best link from F5 ing

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TouchInstallProcess

beehiveblack
February 21st, 2013, 03:15 PM
thanks

BslBryan
February 22nd, 2013, 07:06 AM
Wow. Some guys over at XDA ported it to ToroPlus & Toro and all I can say is wow. For a developer preview with not even 15% of it functioning it is absolutely a dream. For anyone who tried the voice recognition it was superb. If CDMA support gets added officially (or even unofficially) Ubuntu Phone OS will be my daily driver. If I could make calls or send texts I would have never flashed back to Android. It was bittersweet saying goodbye for now.

I am off to theme Android exactly like Ubuntu Phone OS now that I've used it for myself. ):P

Nburnes
February 23rd, 2013, 10:36 PM
Wow. Some guys over at XDA ported it to ToroPlus & Toro and all I can say is wow. For a developer preview with not even 15% of it functioning it is absolutely a dream. For anyone who tried the voice recognition it was superb. If CDMA support gets added officially (or even unofficially) Ubuntu Phone OS will be my daily driver. If I could make calls or send texts I would have never flashed back to Android. It was bittersweet saying goodbye for now.

I am off to theme Android exactly like Ubuntu Phone OS now that I've used it for myself. ):P

Well in the release notes they say they are planning to add CDMA support. I can't say myself that the chrooted CyanogenMod ROM they are running is really all that great (right now), and I tried it on my Gnex and N7.

trestevenson
February 26th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Since this is a developer release, the OS definitely has a long way to go. However, once it's been refined and polished up, I'm going to take the plunge and give it a try.