PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem building/compiling anything

robawalsh
February 20th, 2013, 09:56 PM
I'm getting these error when I try to compile anything:

robawalsh@Dell-Inspiron-N5110:/media/DATA/Linux/drivers/wireless/hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112$ make KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd` make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic' Wireless Extension is the only possible API for this kernel version Using Wireless Extension API LD /media/DATA/Linux/drivers/wireless/hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112/built-in.o CC [M] /media/DATA/Linux/drivers/wireless/hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112/src/shared/linux_osl.o CC [M] /media/DATA/Linux/drivers/wireless/hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.o /media/DATA/Linux/drivers/wireless/hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.c:388:2: error: unknown field ‘ndo_set_multicast_list’ specified in initialiser /media/DATA/Linux/drivers/wireless/hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.c:388:2: warning: initialisation from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default] /media/DATA/Linux/drivers/wireless/hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.c:388:2: warning: (near initialisation for ‘wl_netdev_ops.ndo_validate_addr’) [enabled by default] make[2]: *** [/media/DATA/Linux/drivers/wireless/hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.o] Error 1 make[1]: *** [_module_/media/DATA/Linux/drivers/wireless/hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic' make: *** [all] Error 2

I need to be able to compile now because I'm trying to install wireless drivers.
I have run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade.

MAFoElffen
February 20th, 2013, 11:46 PM
Looks like a depends problem...

You didn't say what version Ubuntu you are running or what specific driver, but for most wireless drivers on 12.04 LTS and running 64bit (looked at your errors and saw 64bit errors):

sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc-4.5 g++-4.5 ia32-libs libxi-dev libxmu-dev freeglut3-dev subversion libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev gawk gcc-multilib flex git-core gettext fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf wget execstack

Would cover you for most everything a normal person would need to compile on a 64bit system. Anything already installed on your system, it would just skip.

"build-essentials" (and add "ialibs-32" for 64bit systems) is the main package that almost everyone needs to install before compiling something on their own in Ubuntu for NIC drivers, graphics binaries, etc., etc. The making sure the compilers are up to a certain version. Then libraries specific to what it is compiling.

Hope this helps.

ajgreeny
February 20th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Have you installed the build-essentials package that is needed to compile and install anything?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo

robawalsh
February 20th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Looks like a depends problem...

You didn't say what version Ubuntu you are running or what specific driver, but for most wireless drivers on 12.04 LTS and running 64bit (looked at your errors and saw 64bit errors):

sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc-4.5 g++-4.5 ia32-libs libxi-dev libxmu-dev freeglut3-dev subversion libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev gawk gcc-multilib flex git-core gettext fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf wget execstack
Would cover you for most everything a normal person would need to compile on a 64bit system. Anything already installed on your system, it would just skip.

"build-essentials" (and add "ialibs-32" for 64bit systems) is the main package that almost everyone needs to install before compiling something on their own in Ubuntu for NIC drivers, graphics binaries, etc., etc. The making sure the compilers are up to a certain version. Then libraries specific to what it is compiling.

Hope this helps.

Yes I have installed build-essentials.

Here's the response:

robawalsh@Dell-Inspiron-N5110:~$ sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc-4.5 g++-4.5 ia32-libs libxi-dev libxmu-dev freeglut3-dev subversion libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev gawk gcc-multilib flex git-core gettext fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf wget execstack
[sudo] password for robawalsh:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
debconf is already the newest version.
debhelper is already the newest version.
debhelper set to manually installed.
fakeroot is already the newest version.
fakeroot set to manually installed.
gawk is already the newest version.
gawk set to manually installed.
gettext is already the newest version.
gettext set to manually installed.
git-core is already the newest version.
libxi-dev is already the newest version.
libxi-dev set to manually installed.
wget is already the newest version.
zlib1g-dev is already the newest version.
zlib1g-dev set to manually installed.
build-essential is already the newest version.
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
ia32-libs : Depends: ia32-libs-multiarch
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
robawalsh@Dell-Inspiron-N5110:~$

I don't know what the "you have held broken packages" means, or which packages are broken, and I tried "Fix broken packages" in Synaptic but that appeared to do nothing...

MAFoElffen
February 21st, 2013, 12:04 AM
Yes I have installed build-essentials.

ia32-libs : Depends: ia32-libs-multiarch
robawalsh@Dell-Inspiron-N5110:~$
[/CODE]

I don't know what the "you have held broken packages" means, or which packages are broken, and I tried "Fix broken packages" in Synaptic but that appeared to do nothing...
Try this:

sudo apt-get install -f

And which version Ubuntu and what specific driver?

robawalsh
February 21st, 2013, 12:10 AM
Try this:

sudo apt-get install -f
And which version Ubuntu and what specific driver?

sudo apt-get install -f didn't help

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS kernel 3.2.0-38-generic

Specifically, I was trying to compile and install the official Broadcom STA 802.11 driver, but this problem also happened when trying to compile other drivers, like brcmscmac (brcm80211), and basically anything I've tried to compile

MAFoElffen
February 21st, 2013, 12:22 AM
sudo apt-get install -f didn't help

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS kernel 3.2.0-38-generic

Specifically, I was trying to compile and install the official Broadcom STA 802.11 driver, but this problem also happened when trying to compile other drivers, like brcmscmac (brcm80211), and basically anything I've tried to compile
Try this for the latest problem:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-multiarch

Looking at the source that you are installing and seeing if it sheds any light... Wait one on that.

robawalsh
February 21st, 2013, 12:28 AM
Try this for the latest problem:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-multiarch
Looking at the source that you are installing and seeing if it sheds any light... Wait one on that.
Yeah I tried that, same error:

robawalsh@Dell-Inspiron-N5110:~$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-multiarch
Building dependency tree
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

ia32-libs-multiarch:i386 : Depends: gstreamer0.10-plugins-good:i386 but it is not going to be installed

MAFoElffen
February 21st, 2013, 12:42 AM
That particular source should depend on: build-essential, debhelper, dh-apparmor, difstat, dpkg-dev, g++, g++-4.6, gettext, html2text, initool-debian, libalgorithm-diff-perl, libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl, libalgorithm-merge-perl, libdkg-perl, libstd++6-4.6-dev, module-assistant, po-debconf and quilt.

While I was looking up the source you said you are trying to compile for that driver...I found ubuntu package broadcom-sta-common.

"broadcom-sta-common" is a binary-only device driver to support the following IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n wireless network cards: BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4313-, BCM4321-, BCM4322-, BCM43224-, BCM43225-, BCM43227-, and BCM43228-based hardware.

If you install that broadcom-sta-common package, it also installs all those above depends, plus broadcom-sta-source... and since it's in the repo's, it would update automatically as new versions become available...

That is now two routes...

robawalsh
February 21st, 2013, 12:49 AM
That particular source should depend on: build-essential, debhelper, dh-apparmor, difstat, dpkg-dev, g++, g++-4.6, gettext, html2text, initool-debian, libalgorithm-diff-perl, libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl, libalgorithm-merge-perl, libdkg-perl, libstd++6-4.6-dev, module-assistant, po-debconf and quilt.

While I was looking up the source you said you are trying to compile for that driver...I found ubuntu package broadcom-sta-common.

"broadcom-sta-common" is a binary-only device driver to support the following IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n wireless network cards: BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4313-, BCM4321-, BCM4322-, BCM43224-, BCM43225-, BCM43227-, and BCM43228-based hardware.

If you install that broadcom-sta-common package, it also installs all those above depends, plus broadcom-sta-source... and since it's in the repo's, it would update automatically as new versions become available...

That is now two routes...

Yes but I'm trying to install the drivers manually since the broadcom-sta-common package isn't working - that's a separate issue here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12521161

broadcom-sta-common is installed, as well as broadcom-sta-source and bcmwl-kernel-source

The focus of this thread was the compiling issue which keeps recurring when I try to compile anything...

MAFoElffen
February 21st, 2013, 12:59 AM
okay-

sudo apt-get remove ia32-libs ia32-libs-multiarch

Then go to synaptic > search on ia32-libs > mark that for install and it "should" mark all the depends under that to resolve it.

It's a common package that most 64bit users need to install driver & other packages... You're going to need it eventually.

That is strange. As I installed that same ia32-lib package on 3 64bit systems within the last 4 days ago with no errors...

I see. Can agree on the manual compile if it had problems somewhere in the package. That would triage if is an Ubuntu package problem or if the problem still exists on Broadcom source. Then it would be an upstream Broadcom problem. That is what I'd say/comment to try if I saw it on launchpad.

robawalsh
February 21st, 2013, 01:09 AM
okay-

sudo apt-get remove ia32-libs ia32-libs-multiarch
Then go to synaptic > search on ia32-libs > mark that for install and it "should" mark all the depends under that to resolve it.

It's a common package that most 64bit users need to install driver & other packages... You're going to need it eventually.

robawalsh@Dell-Inspiron-N5110:~$ sudo apt-get remove ia32-libs ia32-libs-multiarch
Building dependency tree
Package ia32-libs is not installed, so not removed
Package ia32-libs-multiarch:i386 is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
robawalsh@Dell-Inspiron-N5110:~$ And in Synaptic, I marked ia32-libs to install, it found the dependencies, I clicked Install but it gave me:

The following packages have unresolvable dependencies. Make sure that all required repositories are added and enabled in the 'Repositories' option under 'Settings'.
ia32-libs:
Depends: ia32-libs-multiarch

...which they are.

Also, I have virtualgl-libs-ia32:i386 installed - I'm not sure what it is - should I remove it or do I need it?

MAFoElffen
February 21st, 2013, 01:16 AM
LOL --> You might want to read this:
Why Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA driver sucks, and how to fix it (http://pof.eslack.org/2012/05/23/why-broadcom-80211-linux-sta-driver-sucks-and-how-to-fix-it/)

robawalsh
February 21st, 2013, 01:27 AM
LOL --> You might want to read this:
Why Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA driver sucks, and how to fix it (http://pof.eslack.org/2012/05/23/why-broadcom-80211-linux-sta-driver-sucks-and-how-to-fix-it/)

Yeah, I saw that, that didn't work.

And any modprobe command gives me:

FATAL: Error inserting wl (/lib/modules/3.2.0-38-generic/updates/dkms/wl.ko): Invalid argument

MAFoElffen
February 21st, 2013, 01:31 AM
Also, I have virtualgl-libs-ia32:i386 installed - I'm not sure what it is - should I remove it or do I need it?
Do you have wine installed? Seems that package conflicted with a lot of other packages. (Edit- I have wine installed on this 64bit box and I don't have that package installed/works fine.)

Might try to remove virtualgl-libs-ia32:i386, to try to install ia32-libs again... Then add it back in(? reaching/guess on that) or try:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

which was a launchpad fix for that when this same exact thing happened about six months ago... when this last happened... when Precise was still in the dev testing cycle.

EDT-- I also see virtualgl-libs-ia32:i386 as a depends on bumblebee multi-GPU switching support.

robawalsh
February 21st, 2013, 01:36 AM
Do you have wine installed? Seems that package conflicted with a lot of other packages.

Might try to remove virtualgl-libs-ia32, to try to install ia32-libs again... Then add it back in(? reaching/guess on that) or try:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
which was a launchpad fix for that when this same exact thing happened about six months ago... when this last happened... when Precise was still in the dev testing cycle.

I removed virtualgl-libs-ia32 and tried to install ia32-libs again and got the same error..

And the second suggestion:

robawalsh@Dell-Inspiron-N5110:~$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
dpkg: error: unknown option --add-architecture
The command is wrong?

MAFoElffen
February 21st, 2013, 02:05 AM
Sorry, method for adding an architecture changed with release versions:

Sudo echo "foreign-architecture i386" > /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/architectures

Confirmed that that is how mine is setup.

robawalsh
February 21st, 2013, 01:56 PM
Sorry, method for adding an architecture changed with release versions:

Sudo echo "foreign-architecture i386" > /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/architectures
Confirmed that that is how mine is setup.

/etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/architectures didn't exist, so it looks like it created it, but
/etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/multiarch did exist, containing the single line: foreign-architecture i386

sudo modprobe wl is still giving:

robawalsh@Dell-Inspiron-N5110:~$ sudo modprobe wl
FATAL: Error inserting wl (/lib/modules/3.2.0-38-generic/updates/dkms/wl.ko): Invalid argumentTrying to compile a driver is still giving me the error(s):

/home/robawalsh/git/linux-next/drivers/net/wireless/brcm80211/brcmfmac/wl_cfg80211.c:4201:2: warning: statement with no effect [-Wunused-value]
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[3]: *** [/home/robawalsh/git/linux-next/drivers/net/wireless/brcm80211/brcmfmac/wl_cfg80211.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [/home/robawalsh/git/linux-next/drivers/net/wireless/brcm80211/brcmfmac] Error 2
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/robawalsh/git/linux-next/drivers/net/wireless/brcm80211] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic'
make: *** [default] Error 2What do I do next?

robawalsh
February 21st, 2013, 02:16 PM
I don't know how relevant this is, but I tried this and got an error:

robawalsh@Dell-Inspiron-N5110:/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic$ sudo make oldconfig && make prepare
HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/conf.o
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
HOSTLD scripts/kconfig/conf
scripts/kconfig/conf --oldconfig Kconfig
#
# configuration written to .config
#
scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig

*** Error during update of the configuration.

make[2]: *** [silentoldconfig] Error 1
make[1]: *** [silentoldconfig] Error 2
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `arch/x86/tools/relocs.c', needed by `arch/x86/tools/relocs'. Stop.
make: *** [archscripts] Error 2
robawalsh@Dell-Inspiron-N5110:/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic$

MAFoElffen
February 21st, 2013, 10:26 PM
Wait one... What?

I just went to Broadcom to read their readme notes on the latest driver and it is precompiled and has make/build instructions for Ubuntu... which is a lot different from what you are trying:
http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/README.txt

I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with that picture...

robawalsh
February 21st, 2013, 11:15 PM
Wait one... What?

I just went to Broadcom to read their readme notes on the latest driver and it is precompiled and has make/build instructions for Ubuntu... which is a lot different from what you are trying:
http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/README.txt

I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with that picture...

I got the wireless driver working, along with the modprobe issue. There was something wrong with my kernel, I booted into a few versions earlier and reinstalled the 3.2.0-38 kernel, and then the wireless worked (wl module, all others blacklisted).

But I still have the issue with building/compiling anything:

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-38-genericTrying to reinstall it gives:

Reinstallation of linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.(I am definitely connected to the internet...)

MAFoElffen
February 23rd, 2013, 01:43 AM
Yes, kernel. I was sort of suspecting that when you couldn't install ia32-libs...

On compiling, what commands are you using? I notice /usr... when it should be /libs...

On Ubuntu, you will need headers and tools. Try these commands:
# apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic
# apt-get build-dep linux

To check to see if you have this directory do this:

# ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build

BUILD INSTRUCTIONS
------------------
1. Setup the directory by untarring the proper tarball:

For 32 bit: hybrid-portsrc.tar.gz
For 64 bit: hybrid-portsrc-x86_64.tar.gz

Example:
# mkdir hybrid_wl
# cd hybrid_wl
# tar xzf <path>/hybrid-portsrc.tar or <path>/hybrid-portsrc-x86_64.tar.gz

2. Build the driver as a Linux loadable kernel module (LKM):

# make clean (optional)
# make

This is while you are in that ~/hybrid_wl directory. Otherwise it would be

make -C ~/hybrid_wl M='pwd'

The above broadcom instructions are dated and fail on at least one point. You can not longer link 'uname -r' in a command set with current versions of Ubuntu. Currently, you have to manually do "uname -r" and wait for it to return it's results. Then you have to manually substitute those results back from that into your commands.

In your first post, you used:

make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd`

Which would have probably worked if you used

make -C /lib/modules/3.2.0-38-generic/build M='pwd'

...instead...

But immaterial of that, if you don't have a good header file for the kernel you are running... Yes, big problems. Not just for manually compiling, but also for installing and upgrading .deb packages. I see that as a major problem, if true.

That header file is the same version kernel as you are currently running right? That is sort of cryptic saying it cannot "re-install" it, implying it is already installed or locked. If it was installed, you would think that the error would be something along the lines of "already to current version."

Is it already installed but messed up or is it truly missing? Can you manually completely remove/apply, then install/apply it from Synaptic?

robawalsh
February 23rd, 2013, 05:20 PM
Yes, kernel. I was sort of suspecting that when you couldn't install ia32-libs...

On compiling, what commands are you using? I notice /usr... when it should be /libs...

This is while you are in that ~/hybrid_wl directory. Otherwise it would be

make -C ~/hybrid_wl M='pwd'
The above broadcom instructions are dated and fail on at least one point. You can not longer link 'uname -r' in a command set with current versions of Ubuntu. Currently, you have to manually do "uname -r" and wait for it to return it's results. Then you have to manually substitute those results back from that into your commands.

In your first post, you used:

make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd`
Which would have probably worked if you used

make -C /lib/modules/3.2.0-38-generic/build M='pwd'
...instead...

But immaterial of that, if you don't have a good header file for the kernel you are running... Yes, big problems. Not just for manually compiling, but also for installing and upgrading .deb packages. I see that as a major problem, if true.

That header file is the same version kernel as you are currently running right? That is sort of cryptic saying it cannot "re-install" it, implying it is already installed or locked. If it was installed, you would think that the error would be something along the lines of "already to current version."

Is it already installed but messed up or is it truly missing? Can you manually completely remove/apply, then install/apply it from Synaptic?

What a stubborn little problem! I wonder if it is a locale issue; that is, if it isn't available on the Ubuntu servers selected in Software Sources. Please see attached. I suggest you try the USA servers and then run:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-`uname -r`

This seems to have worked - I switched the server by selecting "Other" and then "Choose best server". The headers seemed to reinstall:

robawalsh@Dell-Inspiron-N5110:~$ sudo apt-get update
Ign http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise InRelease
Ign http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates InRelease
Ign http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security InRelease
Hit http://repository.spotify.com stable InRelease
Get:1 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise Release.gpg [198 B]
Ign http://archive.canonical.com precise InRelease
Ign http://extras.ubuntu.com precise InRelease
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net precise InRelease
Ign http://dl.google.com stable InRelease
Get:2 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates Release.gpg [198 B]
Get:3 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security Release.gpg [198 B]
Get:4 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise Release [49.6 kB]
Hit http://archive.canonical.com precise Release.gpg
Get:5 http://extras.ubuntu.com precise Release.gpg [72 B]
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net precise Release.gpg
Hit http://dl.google.com stable Release.gpg
Hit http://archive.canonical.com precise Release
Hit http://extras.ubuntu.com precise Release
Get:6 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates Release [49.6 kB]
Hit http://repository.spotify.com stable/non-free amd64 Packages
Ign http://deb.opera.com stable InRelease
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net precise Release
Hit http://deb.torproject.org precise InRelease
Hit http://archive.canonical.com precise/partner Sources
Hit http://repository.spotify.com stable/non-free i386 Packages
Ign http://repository.spotify.com stable/non-free TranslationIndex
Hit http://extras.ubuntu.com precise/main Sources
Get:7 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security Release [49.6 kB]
Hit http://archive.canonical.com precise/partner amd64 Packages
Hit http://archive.canonical.com precise/partner i386 Packages
Ign http://archive.canonical.com precise/partner TranslationIndex
Hit http://extras.ubuntu.com precise/main amd64 Packages
Hit http://extras.ubuntu.com precise/main i386 Packages
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net precise/main Sources
Get:8 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/main Sources [934 kB]
Hit http://deb.opera.com stable Release.gpg
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net precise/main amd64 Packages
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net precise/main i386 Packages
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net precise/main TranslationIndex
Ign http://extras.ubuntu.com precise/main TranslationIndex
Hit http://deb.torproject.org precise/main Sources
Hit http://deb.opera.com stable Release
Hit http://deb.torproject.org precise/main amd64 Packages
Hit http://deb.torproject.org precise/main i386 Packages
Ign http://deb.torproject.org precise/main TranslationIndex
Hit http://deb.opera.com stable/non-free amd64 Packages
Ign http://repository.spotify.com stable/non-free Translation-en_GB
Ign http://repository.spotify.com stable/non-free Translation-en
Hit http://deb.opera.com stable/non-free i386 Packages
Ign http://deb.opera.com stable/non-free TranslationIndex
Ign http://linux.dropbox.com precise InRelease
Ign http://archive.canonical.com precise/partner Translation-en_GB
Ign http://extras.ubuntu.com precise/main Translation-en_GB
Ign http://extras.ubuntu.com precise/main Translation-en
Ign http://archive.canonical.com precise/partner Translation-en
Get:9 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/restricted Sources [5,470 B]
Get:10 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/universe Sources [5,019 kB]
Get:11 http://linux.dropbox.com precise Release.gpg [489 B]
Get:12 http://linux.dropbox.com precise Release [2,603 B]
Ign http://deb.torproject.org precise/main Translation-en_GB
Ign http://deb.torproject.org precise/main Translation-en
Get:13 http://linux.dropbox.com precise/main amd64 Packages [1,148 B]
Ign http://deb.opera.com stable/non-free Translation-en_GB
Ign http://deb.opera.com stable/non-free Translation-en
Get:14 http://linux.dropbox.com precise/main i386 Packages [1,148 B]
Ign http://linux.dropbox.com precise/main TranslationIndex
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net precise/main Translation-en_GB
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net precise/main Translation-en
Get:15 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/multiverse Sources [155 kB]
Get:16 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/main amd64 Packages [1,273 kB]
Get:17 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/restricted amd64 Packages [8,452 B]
Get:18 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/universe amd64 Packages [4,786 kB]
Hit http://dl.google.com stable Release
Ign http://linux.dropbox.com precise/main Translation-en_GB
Get:19 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/multiverse amd64 Packages [119 kB]
Get:20 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/main i386 Packages [1,274 kB]
Ign http://linux.dropbox.com precise/main Translation-en
Get:21 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/restricted i386 Packages [8,431 B]
Get:22 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/universe i386 Packages [4,796 kB]
Get:23 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/multiverse i386 Packages [121 kB]
Get:24 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/main TranslationIndex [3,706 B]
Get:25 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/multiverse TranslationIndex [2,676 B]
Get:26 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/restricted TranslationIndex [2,596 B]
Get:27 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/universe TranslationIndex [2,922 B]
Get:28 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/main Sources [367 kB]
Get:29 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/restricted Sources [5,135 B]
Get:30 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/universe Sources [79.2 kB]
Get:31 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/multiverse Sources [4,725 B]
Get:32 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/main amd64 Packages [582 kB]
Get:33 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/restricted amd64 Packages [9,565 B]
Get:34 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/universe amd64 Packages [182 kB]
Get:35 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/multiverse amd64 Packages [9,421 B]
Get:36 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/main i386 Packages [593 kB]
Get:37 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/restricted i386 Packages [9,503 B]
Get:38 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/universe i386 Packages [184 kB]
Get:39 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/multiverse i386 Packages [10.4 kB]
Get:40 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/main TranslationIndex [3,564 B]
Get:41 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/multiverse TranslationIndex [2,605 B]
Get:42 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/restricted TranslationIndex [2,461 B]
Get:43 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/universe TranslationIndex [2,850 B]
Get:44 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security/main Sources [63.1 kB]
Get:45 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security/restricted Sources [1,950 B]
Get:46 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security/universe Sources [22.2 kB]
Get:47 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security/multiverse Sources [1,382 B]
Get:48 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security/main amd64 Packages [228 kB]
Get:49 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security/restricted amd64 Packages [3,969 B]
Get:50 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security/universe amd64 Packages [68.2 kB]
Get:51 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security/multiverse amd64 Packages [2,193 B]
Get:52 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security/main i386 Packages [237 kB]
Get:53 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security/restricted i386 Packages [3,968 B]
Get:54 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security/universe i386 Packages [69.9 kB]
Get:55 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security/multiverse i386 Packages [2,368 B]
Get:56 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security/main TranslationIndex [74 B]
Get:57 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security/multiverse TranslationIndex [71 B]
Get:58 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security/restricted TranslationIndex [71 B]
Get:59 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security/universe TranslationIndex [73 B]
Get:60 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/main Translation-en_GB [96.4 kB]
Get:61 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/main Translation-en [726 kB]
Get:62 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/multiverse Translation-en_GB [79.8 kB]
Get:63 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/multiverse Translation-en [93.4 kB]
Get:64 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/restricted Translation-en_GB [2,406 B]
Get:65 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/restricted Translation-en [2,395 B]
Get:66 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/universe Translation-en_GB [5,492 B]
Get:67 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise/universe Translation-en [3,341 kB]
Get:68 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/main Translation-en_GB [96.4 kB]
Get:69 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/main Translation-en [260 kB]
Get:70 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/multiverse Translation-en_GB [79.8 kB]
Get:71 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/multiverse Translation-en [5,694 B]
Get:72 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/restricted Translation-en_GB [2,406 B]
Get:73 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/restricted Translation-en [2,328 B]
Get:74 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/universe Translation-en_GB [5,492 B]
Get:75 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-updates/universe Translation-en [108 kB]
Get:76 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security/main Translation-en [111 kB]
Get:77 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security/multiverse Translation-en [995 B]
Get:78 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security/restricted Translation-en [978 B]
Get:79 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net precise-security/universe Translation-en [43.2 kB]
Hit http://dl.google.com stable/main amd64 Packages
Hit http://dl.google.com stable/main i386 Packages
Ign http://dl.google.com stable/main TranslationIndex
Ign http://dl.google.com stable/main Translation-en_GB
Ign http://dl.google.com stable/main Translation-en
Fetched 26.5 MB in 2min 11s (202 kB/s)
robawalsh@Dell-Inspiron-N5110:~$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-`uname -r`
Building dependency tree
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 985 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic amd64 3.2.0-38.61 [985 kB]
Fetched 985 kB in 0s (2,381 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 604258 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic 3.2.0-38.61 (using .../linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic_3.2.0-38.61_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic ...
Setting up linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic (3.2.0-38.61) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms 3.2.0-38-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-38-generic
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.2.0-38-generic (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/psmouse-alps/0.10/build/make.log for more information.
robawalsh@Dell-Inspiron-N5110:~$ Apart from the
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.2.0-38-generic (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/psmouse-alps/0.10/build/make.log for more information.I would delete this if I knew how (I now have version 0.4), but I don't think this is the problem.

But anyway, the headers looked reinstalled, and I tried compiling a package from source to test (nautilus-dropbox-1.4.0) and this seemed successful.

Maybe the errors compiling the wireless drivers were more to do with something wrong with the commands used to build the drivers for my system

Thanks for help