PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Apply previous configuration to upgraded distro

samsom63
February 20th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Hey Folks,

As you know the latest LTS Ubuntu distribution will soon be released, and it is likely I will upgrade from my current 12.10.

I wonder what is the most efficient way to so. I mean, I've got lots of installed apps, each configured to suit my needs and I've also tweaked Unity quite extensively. If there was a way to avoid doing it all over again, I'd really appreciate it!

Now, I regularly back up both my packages list and my configurations files (basically the whole /etc dir), but I am not sure how to use these once I'll install the new distribution.

Any tips as to efficient ways to manage the transition?

dino99
February 20th, 2013, 02:09 PM
personal data & settings are stored inside your /home partition (if you have made the installation that way of course, otherwise you get a home folder).

So upgrading is not an issue (even with home folder), but a fresh install from scratch, need first you save/backup that home folder (if you dont have a /home partition)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12495221&postcount=2

samsom63
February 20th, 2013, 02:23 PM
personal data & settings are stored inside your /home partition (if you have made the installation that way of course, otherwise you get a home folder).

So upgrading is not an issue (even with home folder), but a fresh install from scratch, need first you save/backup that home folder (if you dont have a /home partition)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12495221&postcount=2

Oh, I see, so upgrading the distribution keeps intact the home folder and all the configurations files, that's great.

Just a question though: could it be an issue if some of the previous configs are not supported anymore in the new distro?

zombifier25
February 20th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Most of the time it will not be a problem, but sometimes some config (such as Compiz configs) will screw up. Fixing them is pretty easy though, and 12.04 and 12.10 is pretty identical to each other so I would be surprised if any problem shows up.

samsom63
February 20th, 2013, 02:29 PM
That looks excellent, thanks for your answers. Cannot wait to go through my first upgrade now :)

ajgreeny
February 20th, 2013, 04:48 PM
By the way, it sounds as if you think that 13.04 is the next LTS version; it isn't.
The next version to be LTS will be 14.04 in another 14 months.

Sorry if you did know that, but it didn't sound as if you did.

samsom63
February 21st, 2013, 12:23 AM
By the way, it sounds as if you think that 13.04 is the next LTS version; it isn't.
The next version to be LTS will be 14.04 in another 14 months.

Sorry if you did know that, but it didn't sound as if you did.

Indeed, I assumed that the next one would be 13.04 and not 14.04. Thanks for the info.