PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Is there anything similar to an "archive and install"?

Benjamindaines
February 19th, 2013, 11:35 PM
So I'm pretty sure I messed up my install and I'm now having driver issues. Basically I can either run the AMD graphics driver, or my wireless driver. They were both previously working together, then I repaired my disk in OS X and lost my grub partition as well as altered my GPT into an unbootable state. I got my system bootable again using gparted and testdisk, but in my attempts to chroot I ended up copying some system files from the live CD onto my boot drive (oops). I think that's the cause of my troubles.

Anyway, I'd like to reinstall ubuntu without losing my home directory or my configurations, just the OS files. Mac OS can do this and calls it an "archive install" where it moves your old system folder to an archive and then reinstalls the system without formatting the drive or your home folder. Obviously I would be able to do this if I used separate partitions when I originally installed, but I did not. Again, oops.

So what are my options at this point? I'd like to avoid the 2-3 hours of getting everything back to where I need it to be after nuking my partition and starting over.

Thanks.
-bonehead Ubuntu user.