PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Linux experiment

irv
July 9th, 2006, 01:30 AM
This is going to be interesting. My wife has never used a computer in her life and I just setup Ubuntu and an account for her on my laptop. I showed her how to login and open up her email and Firefox for now. I signed her up on a forum she would like and turned her loose.
She was one who would ask what is a mouse, or what is a forum?
I will give her a couple of days to a week to play around. Turning it on and off, getting into her email and on the Internet, etc. I want to see how long it will take her to stop asking a lot of questions.

I believe it will be easier for her to learn Linux than Windows.

I will keep you posted in a few day to a week.

Perfex
July 9th, 2006, 01:44 AM
I hope she has good luck

fuscia
July 9th, 2006, 02:46 AM
my wife is on her laptop, for work, all day. it has 2000 on it. when she wants to check personal email, or look up more furniture that we can't afford, she uses breezy on our old desktop. i don't think she could possibly care any less which one she uses, as long as i don't keep messing with the openbox menu every five minutes. i'm sure your wife will be fine. good idea.

topgi
July 9th, 2006, 03:30 AM
My wife used to use windows on her laptop until I installed, as dual boot, Dapper. She doesn't use windows anymore, even if she can. With Dapper she started to use the PC for different task than email and internet. Now, thanks to the easy menu system by topics, she knows what she can do with a PC. Windows START menu was just a list of program name that she didn't know what were meant to do and she never dread to try.
The results of using Dapper for "not technical at all" wife is very positive.

Hope will be the same for you guys

K.Mandla
July 9th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Awesome. I hope she likes it as much as my mom does (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=156175).