PDA

View Full Version : Cant install ubuntu

mangoherbs
February 18th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Im new to Ubuntu and all of linux in general. I heard about it and thought it might be fun to use. I am trying to get the installation to work but to no avail. I dont know if anyone else has had a problem like mine, but i know i am confused. When I first booted it up it started and looked fine, but I was instantly brought to the desktop and the installer said an error occured. So I tried to open the "install Ubuntu 12.10" icon on my desktop and it keeps giving me error messages and telling me to "report the bug".

Is this an actual bug or did something go wrong on the installation?

I did not recieve any messages to "Try" or "Install" it just went straight to desktop.
I am using USB by LinuxLive and 12.10

cetoka
February 18th, 2013, 11:39 PM
You say you are new to Linux and I would recommend installing the long time support version of Ubuntu.It is 12.04 .Newer versions have bugs and the support is longer in LTS.

mangoherbs
February 19th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Thanks. worked like a charm, just took a while.

fantab
February 19th, 2013, 07:57 AM
I don't think there is a bug, afterall we all installed it. However different Hardware can cause issues. Also check the integrity of your Ubuntu.iso by using MD5Sum check (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM) to rule out any errors during download.

After you booted from Ubuntu CD/USB at the appropriate screen choose "TRY UBUNTU". This option does not install Ubuntu and runs from the CD/USB, it will allow you to test Ubuntu with your hardware. It presents a fully functional desktop. Play around for while and familiarize with everything you want to, also connect to the internet to see if its working.

This might also be a good time to customize your Hard Disk and prepare it for Ubuntu, you can use GParted (Partition Manager) for this.

After you are comfortable choose to install Ubuntu from the desktop icon.

I hope it works for ya... Good Luck.