PDA

View Full Version : Unable to build C++ Programs in Netbeans

Mike10562013
February 18th, 2013, 03:22 PM
I'm currently in a programming class with University of Phoenix. My problem is that whenever I try to build a program (even just a simple Hello World program", it didn't show up any errors in my amazing program, yet it always says, "Build Failed". Last time I turned a homework assignment in, the feedback I got from the teacher was that it built and ran perfectly. Not so on my Ubuntu 12.10 installation. I have installed the g++ compiler. I'm beyond frustrated at this point. I have installed it through the Ubuntu Software Center and also downloaded it for Linux from the netbeans website. Neither made a difference. Please help!

albandy
February 18th, 2013, 04:00 PM
I'm currently in a programming class with University of Phoenix. My problem is that whenever I try to build a program (even just a simple Hello World program", it didn't show up any errors in my amazing program, yet it always says, "Build Failed". Last time I turned a homework assignment in, the feedback I got from the teacher was that it built and ran perfectly. Not so on my Ubuntu 12.10 installation. I have installed the g++ compiler. I'm beyond frustrated at this point. I have installed it through the Ubuntu Software Center and also downloaded it for Linux from the netbeans website. Neither made a difference. Please help!

Try building and executing the project attached. It's a simply hello world. untar it to your NetBeansProjects folder and open it.

Let me know it it works.

Nr90
February 18th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Try building the file from commindline with -Wall.
You'll learn more compiling that way as well.

Mike10562013
February 18th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Getting ready to try it in a second albandy. Nr90...is there just a simple way to do it so I can test programs while I'm writing them without having to go into command line to build it and then finally be able to test it? Sometimes I make very small differences and it would just seem like a waste of time. I'm going to have to be honest here, coupled with Unity and Windows looks more and more appealing. :-/

Mike10562013
February 18th, 2013, 04:33 PM
albandy, now it's saying build successful but the run failed.

Bucky Ball
February 18th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Thread moved to Programming Talk.

albandy
February 18th, 2013, 04:38 PM
albandy, now it's saying build successful but the run failed.

Can you paste the output console logs?

Mike10562013
February 18th, 2013, 04:42 PM
/home/mike1056/NetBeansProjects/CppApplication_2/dist/Debug/GNU-Linux-x86/cppapplication_2: 1: /home/mike1056/NetBeansProjects/CppApplication_2/dist/Debug/GNU-Linux-x86/cppapplication_2: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

RUN FAILED (exit value 2, total time: 377ms)

albandy
February 18th, 2013, 05:21 PM
/home/mike1056/NetBeansProjects/CppApplication_2/dist/Debug/GNU-Linux-x86/cppapplication_2: 1: /home/mike1056/NetBeansProjects/CppApplication_2/dist/Debug/GNU-Linux-x86/cppapplication_2: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

RUN FAILED (exit value 2, total time: 377ms)

Please, make an screenshot of the main.cpp window

Mike10562013
February 18th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Here's the screenshot!

albandy
February 18th, 2013, 05:51 PM
This makes no sense.
Try this:
delete or rename the .netbeans folder in your home (this will delete all configurations)
rename the NetBeansProjects folder
create a new NetBeansProject folder
Open Netbeans
Try again the project I've uploaded here.