PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo true to form

lisati
February 17th, 2013, 08:02 PM
As our New Zealand members of this forum might be aware, Yahoo has been true to form, and allowed spammers to misuse their system. This has resulted in a lot of grumpy Telecom New Zealand customers.

If you're a Telecom NZ customer, it might be a good idea to check their web page (http://telecom.co.nz) for an update with what's happening. Although some of what has been presented in the media is probably FUD, you'll probably need to change your email password.

One news item can be found here: http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=161749

mips
February 17th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Do people still use ISP email accounts in this day and age?

lisati
February 17th, 2013, 10:00 PM

Judging by the amount of whinging comments I've seen on Facebook, there are still some people who do.

A couple of my colleagues received junk mail at their Hotmail accounts that claimed to be from my ISP account. Neither colleague has provided me with their current email address, and I haven't used my ISP account for work-related stuff for quite some time. The best explanation I have come up with so far is that one of our mutual contacts has had either their computer or their email account compromised.

BlinkinCat
February 17th, 2013, 11:23 PM

I've had an ISP account (optus) for years without really thinking about it much - the cost didn't seem really prohibitive. The thought of changing addresses to another provider seemed to me to be a large job.

I also have Gmail and Yahoo Accounts.

Which is best, and are there limitations ?

Would it be a good idea to transfer all contacts to Gmail ?

Thanks guys - :p

mr john
February 18th, 2013, 12:43 AM
I use Yahoo and Gmail for my email. In my opinion Gmail is the better of the two because it has far more options.

If I could I would completely get rid of my Yahoo.

BlinkinCat
February 18th, 2013, 12:57 AM
I use Yahoo and Gmail for my email. In my opinion Gmail is the better of the two because it has far more options.

If I could I would completely get rid of my Yahoo.

Thanks for that mr john,

I may well go with Gmail for everything unless anyone recommends otherwise...

Cheers - :p

Edit - Apologies to Lisati for hijacking your thread.

lisati
February 18th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Edit - Apologies to Lisati for hijacking your thread.
That's OK, I'd really be happy if my ISP got rid of Yahoo, too many problems for their customers.

My own experience of trying to report spam to Yahoo is that it's like banging your head against a brick wall. ](*,)

sandyd
February 18th, 2013, 04:24 AM
I gave up a long time ago.
Created my own mailserver with Axigen, configured spamassassin = WIN!

ikt
February 18th, 2013, 11:25 AM

Millions of people, but I'd argue that people using their ISP's email is still better than using Yahoo simply because most ISP's don't DKIM sign their spam, meaning it gets caught in my email servers spam filter.

Yahoo is the only domain I have blocked all emails hitting our mail server, since every email ever received from yahoo.com has been DKIM signed spam.

carla2013
February 18th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I don't know what are you talking about. My Yahoo email account is spammed daily!