PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about ubuntu?

ncappel1
July 8th, 2006, 10:56 PM
How do you feel about Ubuntu?

skull_leader
July 8th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Fuzzy.

Kernel Sanders
July 8th, 2006, 11:39 PM
None of the above.......

BigDave708
July 8th, 2006, 11:49 PM
I would have to go with the fulfilled one. When I first tried Ubuntu and Linux in general, even though I am a relatively proficient computer user, I felt as though it would be just one large, never-ending headache and I would be forced to crawl back to Windows XP on my hands and knees.

Even though Ubuntu is quite complex and the learning curve is quite steep, I am still glad I was brave and tried it out and now believe I will never go back to Windows.

Engnome
July 9th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Well after trying many distro's ubuntu is the only one that has fullfilled my needs, but what do you mean "outside world" To me ubuntu makes it easier to communicate with the outside world. Instead of "Teh internet is scary, you might get viruses or get hacked" to being able to open every attachment in email, visit any website and even host one myself. :KS

Rackerz
July 9th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Nice choices on the poll, I voted Fullfilled and I am only now fullfilled because I finally got my webcam to work in Ubuntu and it works pretty damn good! Not to mention the rest of the OS itself ;).

lapsey
July 9th, 2006, 02:23 AM
impatient

ncappel1
July 9th, 2006, 04:05 PM
If we don't laugh at ourselves, being serious is just....boring

zenwhen
July 9th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I am in love with Ubuntu.

Derek Djons
July 9th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Well, if Linux wouldn't be around I think we would still be working with Microsoft solutions, bitching them to death because of all the problems and bugs.

But I am oh so happy to work with Linux distributions (and in specific Ubuntu) because they try to achieve something very different than money and monopoly. What we are experiencing here as a community sharing knowledge, information, skills and more could become over 500 years the newest way of life. We will share our resources and knowledge to achieve the best out of us as a society :)

nuvo
July 9th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I don't have any real issues with Ubuntu, but I just wish there was some of the software available for it that there is for Windows or OS X.
Under Windows, I used to use Fireworks a fair bit, but there's no real alternative under Ubuntu (Inkscape is great, but lacks things like drop shadows and feathering and Xara is still incomplete and bugs me a bit).
I also used to use Borland Delphi 7, which was a little flaky at times, but let me build apps I needed or wanted without much fuss.
There's Lazarus and Kylix, but Kylix is pretty much dead and no matter what I do, or what guide I follow, Lazarus still whines.
While it's probably possible to get Fireworks running in WiNE, I'd rather find a native editor as it'd be able to run better.
Once Xara LX is fully ported, I'll probably use that, but for now I'm using Inkscape and GIMP (rarely since GIMP's UI isn't the best).

Ubuntu serves pretty much all of my needs though as I can live with Inkscape and I've been developing with Ruby on Rails more recently.
As a development environment, Ubuntu has been great as it let me get the tools I needed easily (Synaptic) and the multiple desktop capabilities of the various desktop environments make developing a lot more enjoyable (I use RoR, PHP, XHTML, CSS and mySQL, so being able to hide something like webbrick running in a terminal on another desktop is a godsend).

kinematic
July 9th, 2006, 07:30 PM
I am in love with Ubuntu.

get a life dude or a girlfriend ;)

tminton
July 9th, 2006, 11:02 PM
It gives me a sort of a warm, well caffinated feeling :D

But the the heck is an Eft? ;)

oskvaz
July 10th, 2006, 01:34 AM
With ubuntu I'am at home.

jharris
July 12th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Surprisingly I'm quite fulfilled. I haven't booted into Windows or touched my Mac for nearly two weeks, so Ubuntu must be doing something right ;)

jsgotangco
July 12th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Using Ubuntu and actually being part of the project has opened up a lot of opportunities for me as well as unforgettable experiences that will always be part of my life so I could say I'm pretty much fulfilled, but looking forward for more adventures to come :)