PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Kazehakase !?

Gonzakpo
July 8th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Hello, After searching for a fast browser with good rendering capabilities (not like dillo!) I found Kazehakase (what a difficult name!!!). It uses the gecko engine, and has a GTK+ front end.

It takes less resources than Mozilla, Firefoz and Opera. I think je.

And the best of all, it's in the repositories BUT an old version, (REP version 0.33, actual version 0.38).

Well, that's all. For those who didn't try it out, give it a chance. And for those who have already tried it, I want your opinions about it!.

Just that, Simple opinions. that's why it's a cafe ;)

Good bye

raul_
March 4th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Old old post....

But YES, it's a good browser :) I'm trying it out right now. Best of all, being a GTK application, it just blends perfectly with your Gnome or Xfce desktop. Found it in the Xfce recommended apps :) a pleasant surprise

zarathustra
March 6th, 2007, 10:48 PM
It's a nice browsing experience, good responsiveness. I only wish the UI was more customisable. It's annoying not being able to double click on the tab bar to start up a new tab (like in Firefox and if I remember rightly Opera too).

raul_
March 6th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I'm just curious. Did you manage to add a homepage button/function? That was one of the main reasons i dumped it. And the lack of simple extensions (like epiphany's)

Brunellus
March 6th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Kazehakase is my favorite middleweight browser. In Feisty, it only draws libxul as a dependency, so it's ideal when Dillo is too light and epiphany is too heavy.

zarathustra
March 7th, 2007, 12:27 AM
I'm just curious. Did you manage to add a homepage button/function? That was one of the main reasons i dumped it. And the lack of simple extensions (like epiphany's)

The best you can do, as far as I know, is just to add your homepage to the bookmark toolbar and click on that when you start it up.

raul_
March 7th, 2007, 12:39 AM
About Kazehakase
Kazehakase is a Web browser which aims to provide a user interface that is truly user-friendly & fully customizable.

In gtkfiles.org

Arguably, to say the least :)

Somenoob
March 7th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Faster than Konqueror?

zarathustra
March 7th, 2007, 12:59 AM
In gtkfiles.org

Arguably, to say the least :)

I'm sure it's customisable somehow, we just don't know how! Documentation seems quite poor at the moment.

raul_
March 7th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Faster than Konqueror?

I'm not sure that it's faster but it's definitly lighter. Besides, it's not a subsitute for Konqueror, since it's a Gtk application not a KDE (qt) one

FyreBrand
March 7th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Faster than Konqueror?I definitely don't run Konq in Xubuntu.

Thanks for the ideas on lighter browsers raul. I like firefox but it takes a lot of umph. I'll try Dillo and Kaz (hehe I'm shortening it). Epiphany is nice, but still about as heavy as Firefox.

raul_
March 7th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Probably Dillo it's too light for you. I think it doesn't render some things yet (like Flash). I'm giving Kaz (hehehehe) a second shot at this moment. I'm sticking with it for a week before i make a fair evaluation. Right now the only thing that bothers me is the ugly scroll bar :P and some things like the "find as you type" thingy, that i used a lot.

Like you, I also find Epiphany very heavy. It's not that I have a slow machine, or that i'm lacking RAM, but i like things to just pop up when i click them :) (that's why i switched Gnome for Xfce)

RAV TUX
March 7th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Kazehakase is my favorite middleweight browser. In Feisty, it only draws libxul as a dependency, so it's ideal when Dillo is too light and epiphany is too heavy.I knew I would find you here....:)

Kateikyoushi
March 7th, 2007, 04:07 AM
I'm sure it's customisable somehow, we just don't know how! Documentation seems quite poor at the moment.

Unfortunately true,changing between tabs using keyboard won't work either, too much pain...

fuscia
March 7th, 2007, 04:35 AM
i like it. it has good funk appeal.

The Noble
March 7th, 2007, 05:43 AM
It's nice, and I would use it more but the version in the repos is really old and I can't build a new version. I really like it though, as firefox uses as much ram as azureus, which is mind boggling.

zarathustra
March 7th, 2007, 04:17 PM
It's nice, and I would use it more but the version in the repos is really old and I can't build a new version. I really like it though, as firefox uses as much ram as azureus, which is mind boggling.

I compiled version 0.4.4.1 fine on Edgy, supposedly this had compile error fixes. Have you tried compiling this version?